We deliver the most advanced and flexible learning experience for certification, credentialing, test prep, continuing education, and training. Our cloud-based learning platform is designed to help education and training organizations deliver a highly engaging and effective learning experience for users who are trying to advance their careers. We incorporate the latest in learner-centered technology, including personalization, gamification, data science, usability and omni-channel delivery.
We’re sitting in a pivotal time in the BenchPrep history, having achieved significant growth year-over-year and nearly doubling in employee size! The number of learners on our cloud-based learning platform has reached 6 million in 2019, up 30 percent versus the prior year.
We’re committed to helping students learn better, and that starts in our own office.
About the role:
BenchPrep is looking for a talented attorney with experience advising technology companies on commercial contracts and data privacy and protection matters. You will be primarily responsible for drafting and negotiating commercial contracts as well as counseling the businesses on a broad range of new and existing product and service offerings with an emphasis on privacy, data protection and regulatory compliance. You may not have all the answers, but you know how to find, analyze, and translate them and then empower the team to put them into action.
The successful candidate must be inquisitive, enthusiastic about technology, enjoy working hard and being continually challenged, and demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations.
Some challenges you’ll tackle:
- You will be the primary point of contact for drafting, negotiating, and finalizing new and amended contracts and will manage the contract review process as well as ensuring ongoing compliance with contractual requirements for customer, vendor and partnership contracts
- Identify and explain non-standard terms and associated risks to relevant business stakeholders, interpret and advise on contract requirements, obligations and risk exposure
- Identify, implement, and maintain a contract management system
Data Privacy & Protection
- Counsel and advise commercial and business teams on privacy and data protection-related provisions of commercial contracts and business partnerships
- Build and develop systems and processes to support a scalable privacy and data protection program, maintain internal and external privacy policies
- Manage compliance with all applicable privacy and data protection laws and regulations
Risk Management & Protecting the Company
- Counsel and advise product and business teams on the launch of new products and business initiatives. Oversee IP and trademark portfolio, assist with IP and trademark filing, ensure compliance with trademark and copyright laws
- Design and evolve risk management framework to support review of company’s current and expected operating activities and business strategies ensuring regulatory compliance
- Build processes to improve the company's operating efficiency and mitigate legal risk; and
- Research a range of legal questions and distill findings to advise internal stakeholders (i.e. international market entry)
About the team:
We are a growing team of dynamic business professionals responsible for finance, accounting and legal matters to support BenchPrep’s rapid growth. We are strategic thinkers, with an eye on operational excellence and execution to move the business forward. We partner, collaborate and aren’t afraid to roll up our sleeves to get the job done. We are inspired by a shared mission to help millions learn better and faster through our unique platform around the world.
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- JD from an ABA accredited law school
- 5+ years of legal experience (a combination of law firm and in-house experience focused on technology industry would be ideal).
- World-class expertise in privacy and data protection laws and regulations in the U.S., Europe and beyond, including Privacy Shield and GDPR
- Detail-oriented project management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple competing projects to effective resolution
- Proven ability to work with teams of multiple stakeholders as well as independently with limited guidance as a natural self-starter, exceptional communication skills
- Track record of developing practical solutions to novel problems
- Be comfortable negotiating ambiguity and conflicting priorities in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Have exceptional professionalism; strong work ethic; desire to learn and grow; sense of humor; and the flexibility needed to thrive in an innovative and fast-paced business environment
Life at BenchPrep:
We work at BenchPrep because we’re dedicated to the mission and each day have an opportunity to be challenged and learn. We work hard, eat well, and have lots of fun. Culture is our lifeline at BenchPrep. We tend to eat our (free) lunch together - not because we have to, but because we want to. We celebrate our people, both professionally and personally. We focus on flexibility - both in work/life balance, but also everyday in operating with agility. We care about professional development so much that we offer employees $1,200 annually to build their skills. And of course, we have all the La Croix and snacks that you’d expect to keep you moving. It’s no wonder we were selected in Inc’s Best Workplaces of 2020 and Crain’s 2020 Best Places to Work in Chicago lists.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are looking for high performing and motivated professionals who are excited about the chance to leverage technology to impact the lives of millions of learners.