We deliver the most advanced and flexible learning experience for certification, credentialing, test prep, continuing education, and training. We provide a configurable cloud-based learning platform that delivers the best learning experience and drives revenue for nonprofits (credentialing bodies & associations), corporations, and training companies. With an award-winning learner-centric platform, our platform increases learner engagement, improves long-term learner retention, and reduces dropout rates. To date, we have helped more than 4 million learners attain academic and professional success.
We’re sitting in a pivotal time in the BenchPrep history. After just closing a $20 million series C round of funding, we’re fueled for growth. We’re ready to enhance our product offering, extend our position in the education and training industry, and scale our (humble) team.
We’re committed to helping students learn better, and that starts in our own office.
About the role:
We are seeking a talented and dynamic Chief Financial Officer to join our growing team. As our Chief Financial Officer, you will act as a strategic partner to the CEO, playing a key role in developing, monitoring and evaluating overall corporate financial strategy alongside the CEO. You will have primary responsibility for all of BenchPrep’s financial activities and will help inform business decisions and executive strategy by providing excellent financial insight to achieve our aggressive growth goals. You should have experience working as a CFO in a high growth, entrepreneurial company, having managed all aspects of the finance function. You will interact with all parts of the team and act as a strategic advisor to not only the CEO but the Board and entire executive team being able to provide financial information and operational analytics.
How you’ll contribute
- Be a strategic partner to the CEO by helping to develop and monitor the company’s strategy using financial information and operational analytics.
- Develop and scale the company’s infrastructure to meet performance goals and targets within established budgets and timelines.
- Drive performance across the business, through the creation of key performance indicators for our various departments
- Create decks of relevant financial updates to present to the Board at quarterly meetings.
- Automate processes and systems to increase efficiency and quality improvements
- Take complete ownership of legal and regulatory compliance
- Improve and automate FP&A processes, as well as KPI and financial performance reporting against company targets and goals
- Provide prudent management and oversight of company balance sheet and assets
- Develop metrics that track performance across the business and encourage the prudent use of assets and other resources
- Manage and review Finance department’s preparation of timely and detailed reports on financial performance on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Lead the efforts to develop a long-term capital plan for the business.
- Provide due diligence support when necessary; and keep financial models up to date
You should have:
- 10+ years of financial leadership experience, at a rapidly growing organization
- Experience working in a SaaS start-up environment preferred
- A record of success in improving processes and leading department growth
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, handle and prioritize simultaneous requests, and manage lateral and upwards
- In-depth knowledge of corporate finance and accounting principles, laws and best practices
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, swiftly-changing startup-like environment.
- Experience leading and managing a team with the ability to support, mentor and develop employees.
Life at BenchPrep:
We work at BenchPrep because we’re dedicated to the mission and each day have an opportunity to be challenged and learn. We work hard, eat well, and have lots of fun. Culture is our lifeline at BenchPrep. We tend to eat our (free) lunch together - not because we have to, but because we want to. We celebrate our people, both professionally and personally. We focus on flexibility - both in work/life balance, but also everyday in operating with agility. We care about professional development so much that we offer employees $1,200 annually to build their skills. And of course, we have all the La Croix and snacks that you’d expect to keep you moving. It’s no wonder we were selected in Built in Chicago’s 50 Best Small Companies to Work For in 2019, and Crain’s 2019 Best Places to Work in Chicago lists.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are looking for high performing and motivated professionals who are excited about the chance to leverage technology to impact the lives of millions of learners.