Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
Benchling is seeking to bring onboard its first Global Head of Information Technology to develop the strategic direction, vision, and multiyear roadmap for information technologies that aligns with business and financial goals, company strategy, and meets security and compliance objectives.
This leader will build and manage a high-performance, global organization that provides best-in-class IT services that will serve as a role model for customers on how a cloud-first, security-first approach to IT can outperform legacy approaches. You will drive the standardization of our operational processes, identify opportunities to make our teams more effective, and drive new processes as we grow and scale.
- Be an evangelist for a cloud-first, security-first approach to IT services, operations, and technologies.
- Be an evangelist for how modern business technologies, services, and automated processes can supercharge teams across the business.
- Deploy modern IT services and business technologies that enable seamless user experience while balancing scalability and cost efficiency.
- Develop and maintain IT services, working with Benchling’s Security teams, that strengthen Benchling’s security posture.
- Assess, architect and right-size the applications footprint to ensure a connected enterprise and trusted information flow between systems.
- Develop and manage the IT fiscal plan and budget, with detailed forecasting, analysis, and optionality.
- Research and develop innovative solutions to business problems, leading the change, and adoption of new processes, services and technologies.
- Partner with leaders and teams across the business to ensure the success of their initiatives.
- Oversee teams of technical staff who are responsible for the full lifecycle of IT services, from design, build, test, deployment, and retirement/refresh of technologies supporting IT services.
- Lead a data driven approach, using metrics and observability, to drive improvements in IT services and the IT workforce.
- Sponsor and/or lead special projects relating to ensuring successful delivery and support of IT Services.
- Ensure standards, documentation, and processes for IT services are created, deployed, and kept up to date.
- Establish and operate an IT governance / decision-making and collaborative operating model that promotes productive relationships with Security, Software Engineering, Product, Field Teams, Operations Teams, and business partners.
- 15+ years overall IT experience
- 10+ years or more of IT management experience
- Demonstrated ability to architect, design, implement, and operate IT solutions using cloud first technologies
- In-depth knowledge of Information Technology principles, theories, and concepts to lead functional area(s) and provide modern solutions.
- Extensive knowledge of IT business technologies, IT operations, IT engineering, systems management, and service management processes.
- Broad technical knowledge to arbitrate and translate among all levels of technical, administrative, field, and business operations.
- Experience partnering with GoToMarket teams to ensure an efficient, insightful, and scalable business.
- Experience partnering with Software Engineering and Product teams to ensure scalable implementations of cloud platforms.
- Experience partnering with Security Teams to ensure IT services and assets are hardened, monitored, and managed appropriately for a high risk environment.
- Ability to lead, develop, empower, and mentor multiple levels of staff and management, performing functions across multiple disciplines.
- Ability to work across and lead distributed teams.
- Good communicator that is able to present and influence credibly and effectively to all levels of an organization, especially to key business partners and executives.
- Portfolio management and project management skills with a focus on consistency, on time delivery of services, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Strong business insight, as well as strong analytical and critical thinking abilities to draw conclusions based on data.
- Self-motivated individual capable of working in a face-paced, dynamic environment.
- Detail and results oriented; skilled at both planning and hands-on execution.
- Ability to excel in a team-oriented, collaborative, and fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is:
Zone 1: $240,000 to $350,000
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.