We believe in a world where homes are owned by regular people. Our mission is to provide authentic belonging experiences, empowering residents to become homeowners and homeowners to be financially free.

Belong is changing what it means to rent a home by putting people first. It’s where hospitality meets consumer real estate—and it’s about to redefine an entire industry. We’re backed by Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), GGV Capital, Battery Ventures, and Fifth Wall just to name some of our all-star investors.
Have you been looking to join an early-stage startup? Are you looking for a fast-paced environment where your voice matters? Then, Belong is for you!

We are looking for a data engineering thought leader to design and build a unified cloud data platform that will facilitate the ingestion, storage, processing, and maintenance of large and complex data sources to be used as the single source of truth by the company. This platform will support business intelligence and advanced analytics, enterprise decision support systems, and machine learning applications. 

This role provides the opportunity to shape the strategy and vision for a flexible, reliable, and future-ready data platform that will provide a data-driven competitive advantage to a fast-growing company.

Responsibilities
  • Architect and build a data engineering pipeline including data ingestion, storage, catalog & search, data processing & analytics, and data access & security layers; design the ETL framework used by all pipelines at the company
  • Own the full life cycle of the data lake and data warehouse implementation process, considering business requirements, database design, data sourcing, transformation, loading, and performance tuning.
  • Apply knowledge of software engineering fundamentals, including knowledge of algorithms and data structures 
  • Bring experience building, deploying, and debugging production systems at scale
  • Showcase the ability to trade-off the engineering work in terms of value versus cost, maintainability, and generalizability
  • Showcase consistency by executing efficiently and proactively against a strategy of complex efforts 
  • Strive to ensure high-quality outcomes and the best possible user experience 
  • Exhibit good communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills self-motivated, passionate about big data technologies, and is eager to drive meaningful impact at a growing tech start-up 

Required Qualifications

• BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or relevant technical field
  • 5+ years of experience with at least one object-oriented/functional language (i.e., Python, Java, Scala)
  • 5+ years of SQL experience
  • Experience with relevant industry tools, architectures, and cloud providers (i.e., AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Databricks)
  • Experience implementing cloud analytics platforms (i.e., AWS Redshift, Google BigQuery, Azure Data Warehouse, Snowflake)
  • Experience with big data technologies and compute services (i.e., Amazon EMR, Spark, Presto, Hive)
  • Knowledge of data pipeline and workflow management tools (i.e., Airflow) 
Nice to Have
  • Experience with event streaming services (i.e., Kafka)
  • Experience with data modeling and transformation (i.e., dbt)
  • Experience with building dashboards and integration of data analysis tools (i.e., Looker)
  • Experience with integrating the data platform with ML tools (i.e., Sagemaker)

As soon as you join the team, you will start partnering closely with existing team members such as data analysts, engineers, and senior management. You will get familiarized with existing systems and tools to fully understand the status quo of Belong’s data infrastructure.

Within a few weeks, you will take ownership of designing and building the architecture for Belong’s data analytics platform. You will build the data ingestion, storage, catalog, and processing layers with the ultimate goal to unify all data sources across the company within a cloud data lake or warehouse. Next, you will make sure teams across the company can access the latest and most accurate data insights. This will be accomplished through the high-quality data pipelines you will build to help make key decisions for the company.

By the end of your first 120 days, you will have built a centralized analytics platform – a single source of truth for all data sources – to empower the company with a complete view of the most important data about its users. By the end of your first year, you will have enabled a comprehensive platform that will support big data analytics and exciting machine learning capabilities.

We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.

Apply for this Job

* Required
resume chosen  
(File types: pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf)
cover_letter chosen  
(File types: pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf)