IN A NUTSHELL
We launched 10 years ago with a range of six wallets and now release 30+ new products a year. As our range continues to grow, our design team is in search of an enthusiastic CAD sculptor/Digital 3D Designer who can help us explore design ideas digitally and communicate them to our Product Development team.
You will be a member of our design team. We are an eclectic bunch with varied backgrounds. We value our collaborative environment where products and ideas flourish. As part of the team, you will work closely with other designers and our amazing product development team to turn these ideas into products.
We need someone who understands and excels at 3D modelling, managing workflow and version history with a passion for prototyping and refining ideas.
Our projects are diverse and require creative solutions. Your methodical, iterative process will help shape a design vision into something practical, realistic and production-friendly, while maintaining the integrity and character of the original design.
While an understanding of basic engineering and manufacturing principles is needed, this is a position within the design team. We are looking for someone who can express emotion through the forms they sculpt with nuance, clarity and simplicity. Your handiwork will become part of Bellroy’s design language.
Bring us your practical expertise, desire for improvement and appreciation for good design. In return we’ll provide you with the stretch goals, the chance to develop products you are proud of and the support you need to flourish.
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF OUR CAD STYLIST MIGHT INCLUDE…
- Discussing a new design concept with the design team, plan sketching and using subD to block out some initial forms for review.
- Considering the transition of a surface in 3D with human interaction taking centre stage.
- Laser cutting, 3d printing or working with whatever is on hand to explore shape, form and interaction in either our Jan Juc lab, Fitzroy lab or from home.
- Outputting renders from quick snapshots to catalogue quality.
- Interaction with our Product Development team to understand manufacturing concerns impacts on form, shape and texture.
YOU COULD BE THE ONE IF YOU HAVE…
- 3+ years experience in a similar or adjacent role
- Prototyping experience - both hand and digital fabrication
- Great 3D CAD skills, with experience managing multiple models, version history and formats.
- Familiarity with Illustrator and Adobe cloud-based software and software/technology in general
- an inquisitive drive to grow your knowledge of manufacturing processes
- A strong desire to learn by trying new things, shifting and adapting your approach to push for improvement
WHY WORK FOR BELLROY?
Bellroy’s mission is to inspire better ways to carry; use business as a force for good; and help the world – and our crew – flourish. We make great carry products that delight people in their everyday lives, while constantly innovating to improve the sustainability of our materials. We donate a portion of our revenue to some of the world’s most effective charities and are a certified B Corporation.
We help our staff love their work and grow as people. Internally, we’re proud of our workplace culture; externally, we’ve been recognised as Australia’s Best Place to Work 2021, in the "< 100 Employees" category. We are constantly looking for better ways to do… well, everything. Want to help us?
LOCATION AND HOURS
This is a full-time role located near Bells Beach, with some travel to our workspace in Fitzroy. Bellroy is flexible with working from home; you'll have a dedicated workstation in the Jan Juc office, plus an allowance to set up your home office.
Start Day: March 2022 but we have flexibility if you’re the right person