IN A NUTSHELL
Bellroy, an Australian accessories brand helping people carry better, has grown rapidly since its inception. We’re looking to magnify the capabilities of our technology teams to keep pace with that ongoing growth, while remaining Australia’s Best Place to Work. We’re not a software company, but software development is one of our core competencies. Technology underpins the success of our business. This means the Technology Team rarely works to hard delivery deadlines (we prioritise “correct” over “now”) and we regularly make open-source contributions.
We’re on the search for two Haskell developers to help us not just to ship features but to ship features from a codebase that’s better than it was last time we shipped a feature - and do this every time we ship a feature. We need you to help us use Haskell as it should be used, not merely as it can be used. Yes, to ship features (we’re not a language research lab and we’re not afraid of a slightly inelegant hack that gets the job done without polluting the codebase) but to be able to look back and see that we used the right tools and abstractions, that our architecture served our business needs, and that we didn’t brute force what we could have finessed.
You can expect to learn a lot while you’re here. We will support your development with an allocated learning budget, hack days, and company-wide learning events. The Technology Team also runs a book club that meets weekly . We’ve discussed books like Don’t Make Me Think and The Pragmatic Programmer, and worked through courses together as well.
Bring us your problem solving skills, quick wit and fast fingers. In return we’ll provide you with a culture of intellectual honesty, autonomy to do your work and the tools you need to get shit done.
YOU COULD BE THE ONE IF, YOU…
- Have at least 2-3 years experience (professional or otherwise) with Haskell and functional programming
- Strive to deliver high quality code with strong, well-researched design principles
- Prefer mastering your craft over managing people (for now, but you’re welcome to change your mind about that in the future)
- Want to join a highly competent technical team, supporting and supported by world-class professionals in product design, data science, logistics, production, sales, finance and customer support
- Don’t work just to pay the bills, but also because you’re passionate about contributing to the team and the open source community
- Get excited about great ideas, wherever they come from – books, blogs and podcasts, technical and non-technical
- Want to work for a company that cares about doing good things for the world
WE’D GET REALLY EXCITED IF YOU…
- Have experience wrangling Nix
- Can read and understand Ruby on Rails code (we have a significant Ruby on Rails codebase that we’re migrating away from, and many of our Haskell services talk to Rails services)
- Have operational AWS experience (Lambda, DynamoDB, etc)
- Have built event-driven systems using Kafka
- Can’t do any of that right now, but can learn really quickly
WHY WORK FOR BELLROY?
Bellroy’s mission is to inspire better ways to carry; use business as a force for good; and help the world – and our crew – flourish. We make great carry products that delight people in their everyday lives, while constantly innovating to improve the sustainability of our materials. We help our staff love their work and grow as people. We donate a portion of our revenue to some of the world’s most effective charities and are a certified B Corporation.
We have carefully built our culture on radical effectiveness. Our credo is "smart people with good intentions who get shit done" (yes, really). We help our staff love their work and grow as people. Internally, we’re proud of our workplace culture; externally, we’ve been recognised as Australia’s Best Place to Work 2021, in the "< 100 Employees" category. We have two awesome physical workspaces in Victoria, Australia - one in the heart of Melbourne’s Fitzroy, and a smaller space in Bells Beach. Our remote team members are a critical part of our business, and are treated as such: prior to 2020, we would gather all our people together once or twice a year, and plan to do this again as soon as it’s practical and safe.
LOCATION AND HOURS
Fitzroy or remote, that’s up to you. We have people that work with and for Bellroy on every continent bar Antarctica. Our distributed team members are a critical part of our business, and are treated as such. We ask our remote people to overlap Melbourne office hours a few hours a day but other than that the hours that you work are totally up to you. We care about outcomes, not micromanagement.
The majority of our team is based in Australia and Europe. If you’re based in the Americas, the Oceania/European timing probably won’t work for you unless you’re willing to work odd hours (our existing team in the Americas work late nights a few days a week). If you’re located in or near Melbourne, we’re flexible about how much of your week is spent in our offices.
In a global company, remuneration is hard. We try our best to pay people fairly for their skills relative to their circumstances. You can expect the following benefits plus some other nice surprises:
- a good, fair salary that means you don’t have to worry about money, as well as have room to be rewarded as you grow
- help setting up your home office, both financially and technically
- team training budget for courses, conferences and certifications
- travel and accommodation to get together face-to-face with your colleagues twice a year (when practical and safe)
If you're expecting a FAANG-like compensation package we're sorry, but we'll likely disappoint you.
We’re ready when you are.
READY TO APPLY?