BEGiN has an exciting opportunity for a Staff Data Engineer to join our growing team! This role will be remote in the US. Please see our list of states below.
BEGiN is an award-winning educational technology company with world-wide impact. With products that are as effective as they are fun, BEGiN’s family of brands builds critical skills for school and life.
We’re a diverse team of talented people passionate about creating educational content kids love. At BEGiN, we have the rare opportunity to make a dent in the universe by bringing high-quality at-home learning to kids globally!
Reporting into our Director, Data Engineering, the Staff Data Engineer will lead the design and implementation of the enterprise data warehouse models (i.e. data vault, data mart etc) to advance the data platform architecture and implement reliable data pipelines upholding the best practices that are pivotal to analytics, data science, and reporting across the organization.
- Work as an architect for the enterprise data warehouse and ensure all deliverables according to the data platform roadmap.
- Own efficacy and quality of data pipelines and ETL processes that bring data into the enterprise data warehouse.
- Develop, maintain, and improve tools to enable team members to rapidly consume and understand data.
- Design and architect scalable infrastructure to build, train, and deploy machine learning models, ETL, and CI/CD with an eye on efficiency.
- Work hands on with multiple cloud technologies and tools (Python, PySpark, AWS, GCP, Databricks, etc.).
- Work closely with the business stakeholders, data scientists/analysts, and our engineering team to translate requirements into deliverable products.
- Execute the strategy for the data platform to support the business while optimizing performance and minimizing cost.
- Partner with stakeholders and engineering teams to deliver solutions in an iterative and incremental manner, leveraging lean and agile principles, fostering an environment of learning and collaboration.
- Ensure that our applications and operational data remain in sync and all integrations are flowing with no data errors.
- Lead root cause analysis, prioritize and manage data quality and remediation, and ensure data integrity to all downstream data systems.
- You will be an expert on understanding how data is collected, maintained, and interpreted and be knowledgeable on the official sources of data in scope to address use case requirements and business needs.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Deep understanding of Spark (Databricks) and expertise on Data Warehousing approaches in the Databricks Lakehouse.
- Expert in Python/Scala and follow/evolve established SDLC, coding best practices, version control etc.
- Data Platform Architecture experience in AWS and/or GCP.
- Previous hands-on experience with developing data warehouses.
- 5+ years of experience in data architecture and engineering.
- Excellent communication skills tailored for target audience.
- Strong data management skills with a focus on data warehouse (lakehouse) design, data quality management, and data analysis of large datasets, including hands-on-experience with SQL, no-SQL, and ETL software.
- Experience in BI tools (i.e. Looker).
- Graduate degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Understanding of Analytics use cases (i.e. customer360, marketing channel optimization etc).
- Prior experience with AWS Infrastructure (Networking, VPCs etc).
- Prior experience with tools such as Fivetran, Airflow, Metarouter, Terraform etc.
We like people who:
- Are open to suggestions, collaborative, and thrive in team environments.
- Love and are willing to learn new technologies and styles.
- Are scrappy, entrepreneurial with the ability to turnaround high-quality projects quickly without depending on a large team.
What you’ll get:
- BEGiN offers competitive compensation including equity and benefits.
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers.
- Paid time off. Including Holiday/Summer break.
- Unlimited sick time off.
*Remote Locations: AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, MO, NC, NE, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, TX, VA, WA, WY.
Salary MIN: $110,000 MAX: $125,000. This information reflects the anticipated base salary range for this position based on current national data. Minimums and maximums may vary based on location and other relevant factors. We're able to answer any additional question you may have as you move through the interview process.
BEGiN is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
At BEGiN, we are committed to building a diverse team of talented people who are passionate about creating educational content kids love. We believe in fostering a culture where productivity can flourish, one that is empathetic, respectful, and inclusive. At BEGiN, we know that diversity, equity, and inclusion aren’t just an idea, a one-time initiative, or phrases to throw into a job post: they’re a daily practice and an ongoing conversation. We survey our team about inclusivity, run training on DEI topics, and have a committee to ensure we are all continuing to learn and grow.