Little Passports, part of the BEGiN family, has a new opportunity for a Product Designer to join our growing team! This role will report into our San Francisco office in a hybrid capacity or can be remote based in select US locations*.
BEGiN is an award-winning educational technology company with world-wide impact. With products that are as effective as they are fun, BEGiN’s family of brands builds critical skills for school and life.
We’re a diverse team of talented people passionate about creating educational content kids love. At BEGiN, we have the rare opportunity to make a dent in the universe by bringing high-quality at-home learning to kids globally!
About Little Passports
Little Passports (www.littlepassports.com) is a high-growth direct-to-consumer company designing and developing hands-on activities and experiences that take children on a global adventure. We are a mission-driven company inspired to make an impact by helping make children’s worlds bigger. We offer a high-performance and flexible work environment and were awarded Best Place to Work in 2017. Our offices are located in downtown San Francisco, within walking distance of BART, Muni and Caltrain. When we aren’t living in a pandemic, we have always worked from our office in San Francisco three days a week and from home two days a week. There is some location flexibility within California.
Little Passports is seeking an imaginative, hands-on Product Designer to help innovate and develop our expanding portfolio of surprising and delightful play experiences centered around global exploration. In this role, you will be directly responsible for all phases of concept ideation and development and will report to the Director of Product Design.
- Research and contextualize consumer needs, competitive landscape, and concept opportunity
- Brainstorm and visualize new ideas supporting key product strategies
- Build, refine, and test mocked-up prototype models, then build again!
- Collaborate with Creative, Content Development, Sourcing, and Marketing Teams
- Drive product through key development milestones
- Manage product cost
- Manage external vendors
- Present effectively and passionately to team members and Sr Leadership
- Actively participate in key team meetings, own project responsibilities
What you’ll bring
- 2-5 years of experience designing and developing physical product design, with a preference for experience in children’s toys/educational activities
- Strong visualization skills (sketching, rendering, prototyping, presentation materials)
- Strong project management skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Technical skills in Industrial and/or Toy Design and modelmaking
- Adjacent skills a big plus – Graphic Design, Games Design
- Working understanding of manufacturing methods
- Comfortable exploring and utilizing different material formats – board stock, plastic, woodcraft, foam, fabrics, paper, etc.
- Comfortable working in a fast-changing environment, driven by constant innovation and consumer feedback
- Bachelor’s degree in related design field is required.
- Passion and Curiosity – We love what we bring to kids’ lives. We want a candidate who brings that same passion, and will constantly strive to find new ways to surprise, delight and inspire!
- BEGiN is a proud equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
*Remote Locations: AL, CA, CT, FL, GA, ID, MA, MD, MI, MO, NC, NE, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WY.
This role is not eligible for CO state.
At BEGiN, we are committed to building a diverse team of talented people who are passionate about creating educational content kids love. We believe in fostering a culture where productivity can flourish, one that is empathetic, respectful, and inclusive. At BEGiN, we know that diversity, equity, and inclusion aren’t just an idea, a one-time initiative, or phrases to throw into a job post: they’re a daily practice and an ongoing conversation. We survey our team about inclusivity, run training on DEI topics, and have a committee to ensure we are all continuing to learn and grow.