The Principal Scientist, Protein Science position is responsible for novel antibody construct design, purification, and characterization. Your innovation and creativity in developing novel processes, technologies, and new ideas will be used to drive Be Bio’s early pipeline development in oncology. You will be recognized as a technical expert and a scientific contributor who routinely partners with, and mentors, junior colleagues across the organization. This is an exciting opportunity at Be Bio, which is creating a bold new class of B cell derived therapeutic proteins for the treatment of cancer and is advancing engineered B cell medicines to clinic.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Build up our protein science capability to support engineered B cell medicine oncology programs at both research and development stages
- Develop, manage, and contribute to workflows that include novel antibody construct design, purification, and characterization of different isotypes of antibodies at variable scales from engineered B cells for use in biochemical/biophysical assays and structure/function studies
- Design, execute, optimize, and troubleshoot protein engineering expression, purification, and characterization workflows
- Analyze, interpret, document, and present data to the multidisciplinary project teams
- Employ a variety of analytical equipment and protein quality control, biophysical and biochemical characterization methodologies internally or through CROs to assess purity, stability, non-specificity, post-translational modifications of antibodies generated by engineered B cells.
- Source, analyze, and assess protein reagents to support various stages of B cell medicine programs from target ideation to delivery to clinical development
- Develop and implement emerging technologies with an emphasis on tools and techniques for generating novel antibodies for use in B cell medicine development
- Document data in details as well as write SOPs and prepare internally reviewed technical reports
- Mentor/train other group members on new techniques or equipment
- Build and manage a team of 1-2 junior bench researchers
Experience, Education, Specialized Knowledge, and Skills:
Must thrive in a fast-paced, growing, and innovative environment where flexibility, resourcefulness, resiliency, and communication skills are key. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with your stakeholders, and being an all-around good company citizen are essential. Demonstrated ability to deliver results in line with project and team is critical.
- PhD and Postdoc in Biochemistry, Structural Biology, or a related discipline with 4+ years experience in protein chemistry or M.S. with 11+ years of experience including industry experience
- Demonstrated industry experience or academic achievement in protein engineering, purification, and characterization, as evidenced by publications in high impact journals or patents
- Experience in managing multiple bench researchers, but a strong desire to be at least 75% lab-based
- Experience in expression antibody construct design for high yield protein production in mammalian cells
- Demonstrated ability to purify proteins ranging from protein domains to challenging large multi-subunit and protein complexes
- Characterization of proteins by analytical and biophysical methods including aSEC, fSEC, DLS, DSC, DSF, SEC-MALS, and other methods to monitor conformation, oligomerization, and stability.
- Demonstrated ability to obtain results and drive innovative research programs independently.
- Self-motivated, organized, and capable of working independently and in a collaborative environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Rosetta or other popular modeling software
- Background in B cell biology highly desirable
- Knowledge and experience in HPLC/UPLC, LC-MS, Capillary Electrophoresis for protein analysis a plus
About Be Biopharma
Be Biopharma (“Be Bio”) is pioneering Engineered B Cell Medicines (BeCM) to dramatically improve patients’ lives who are living with cancer, rare diseases and other serious conditions. With eyes locked on the patient, our team of purpose-driven scientists, technologists, manufacturing experts and business builders collaborate to create a bold new class of cell therapies. Be Bio was founded in October 2020 by Longwood Fund and B cell engineering pioneers David Rawlings, M.D., and Richard James, Ph.D. from Seattle Children’s Research Institute. Be Bio is backed by ARCH Venture Partners, Atlas Venture, RA Capital Management, Alta Partners, Longwood Fund, Bristol Myers Squibb and Takeda Ventures. Since our founding, Be Bio’s investors have committed over $180 million to enable the Company to re-imagine medicine based on the power of B cell therapy. For more information, please visit us at Be.Bio and our LinkedIn page.
The beating heart of Be Bio is our People and together we are building a culture driven by purpose, passion, and that’s full of character. We are “all-in” as we align ourselves with patients who need our medicines, and we embrace the highest standards of transparency, excellence, candor, collaboration, and team-based science with a shared ownership of company milestones and successes.
Our commitment to our team members is to deliver a compelling, dynamic work experience that enables them to continually stretch, grow, and learn, that enriches their lives, that fosters a sense of belonging and community, and that goes above and beyond to support them in big, meaningful ways in both their personal and professional lives. Be Bio is a team that works hard, plays hard, and supports each other on our shared journey to get transformative medicines to patients who need them.