The primary responsibilities of the in vivo pharmacology Sr. / Scientist will be to develop pre-clinical small animal oncology models, plan, and conduct in vivo pharmacology experiments to characterize the function of novel engineered human B lymphocyte cell therapies. The incumbent will also support ex vivo analyses and will be responsible for summarizing and presenting in vivo research data to key stakeholders within the research organization. This position will require deep cross-functional collaboration within Be Biopharma, as well as with external collaborators and CROs. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to projects across therapeutic areas and oversee studies run with external partners.
- Design and perform in vivo experiments using preclinical mouse cancer models, including solid tumor (syngeneic, CDX and PDX) models and hematologic tumor models
- Conduct in vivo studies to characterize and assess the function, PK and biodistribution of gene engineered human B cell products
- Hands-on work will include developing and optimizing mouse tumor models, dosing of mice (intravenous, oral or intraperitoneal), tumor implantation (orthotopic or subcutaneous) and isolation and processing of mouse blood or tissues
- Support the development of new in vivo models including, but not limited to, humanized mouse models, live animal bioluminescent or fluorescence imaging, and in vivo target discovery models
- Excellent experimental design, troubleshooting, and data analysis skills are required
- Great communication skills and team spirit is essential, and the ability to communicate results within research organization and at project team meetings required
- Work in a closely integrated team to organize and execute studies involving novel gene edited B cell product
Minimum Experience, Education, and Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
Must thrive in a fast-paced, growing, and innovative environment where flexibility, resourcefulness, resiliency, and communication skills are key. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with your stakeholders, and being an all-around good company citizen are essential!
- MS or Ph.D. degree in Immunology, Immune-Oncology, Cancer Biology, or closely related field with a track record of substantial research accomplishments
- 2+ years relevant experience in biopharmaceutical, biotechnology industry, or translational academic environment (title commensurate with experience)
- Hands-on experience with in vitro laboratory techniques, including multi-color flow cytometry, ELISA, and immunohistochemistry is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently both independently and in a team environment
- Demonstrates scientific creativity, critical thinking, ability to innovate, and analytical problem solving
- Ability to present complex experimental details to a large group and seek out and incorporate feedback on experimental design
Be Biopharma is pioneering a new class of medicines, unleashing the power of B cells to create the new field of Engineered B Cell Medicines. B cells are the body’s protein producing factories, most widely known for making antibodies. Our leading B cell therapy platform, developed by the top scientific KOLs in the field and with strong IP protection, harnesses this capability to engineer B cells to produce any protein with potential therapeutic application. This creates a unique opportunity to rapidly design and develop a broad portfolio of disease changing products (our platform affords ready swapping in new genes for different disease indications) and to significantly scale the company to realize substantial value in a short period of time.
Importantly, and in contrast to other cell therapy modalities, Engineered B Cells engraft naturally (and thus are not expected to require preconditioning chemotherapy). They are also “naturally allogeneic”, and we expect most or all of our portfolio to be “off-the-shelf” medicines. We have a rich pipeline of initial medicines under development in Oncology and Severe Genetic Disease, and we will subsequently expand to other important indications (e.g. Infectious Disease, Autoimmune Disease, etc).
Our Cambridge-based team is led by highly experienced, mission-driven executives all of whom are experienced cell therapy veterans who played key roles in developing several of today’s most impactful marketed gene and cell therapies. The team is rapidly expanding, with 20 employees joining in the first half of 2021. We are making major strides in our proof-of-concept studies for our lead programs in Oncology and Rare Disease, which are on track for near-term clinical development. Be Biopharma was founded in 2020 with a 52M Series A financing round supported by a syndicate of leading biotech investors (Longwood Fund, Atlas, RA Capital, Alta).
The beating heart of Be Bio is our People and together we are building a culture driven by purpose, passion, and that’s full of character. We are “all-in” as we align ourselves with patients who need our medicines, and we embrace the highest standards of transparency, excellence, candor, collaboration, and team-based science with a shared ownership of company milestones and successes.
Our commitment to our team members is to deliver a compelling, dynamic work experience that enables them to continually stretch, grow, and learn, that enriches their lives, that fosters a sense of belonging and community, and that goes above and beyond to support them in big, meaningful ways in both their personal and professional lives. Be Bio is a team that works hard, plays hard, and supports each other on our shared journey to get transformative medicines to patients who need them.