Sr./Scientist, AAV Process Development
Be Biopharma is seeking several candidates at various levels to build the AAV Process Development (PD) department. Team members will work on early-stage process development of AAV. There are three major responsibilities within AAV PD- establish small scale AAV manufacturing methods to support R&D; develop mid-scale AAV manufacturing protocol to support the B cell drug product team; and tech-transfer AAV manufacturing protocols to support AAV cGMP manufacturing at CDMOs. Roles and responsibilities will be given based on experience and knowledge in the AAV or related filed. This is an excellent opportunity for career growth as you would interact with various programs teams and would be involved in regulatory document preparation.
- Develop process methods (upstream and downstream) to support small scale AAV6 manufacturing for R&D use
- Develop mid-scale methods to support large scale AAV6 manufacturing for pre-clinical use
- Perform upstream and downstream process development actives to improve yield and purity of AAV6
- Evaluate novel and emerging technologies to advance vector formulation
- Develop AAV vector analytical methods using various modern techniques (ddPCR, ACU, etc.)
- Validate AAV vector expression in B cells
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
- Write and review technical documents including ELN entries, batch records, work instructions, SOPs, technical reports
- Work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Author and review technical documentation to support early-stage activities as well as draft manufacturing documentation to support tech transfer
- Collaborate closely with manufacturing to tech transfer the developed process to a GMP facility
Experience, Education, Specialized Knowledge, and Skills:
- BS or MS in science with 5-10 years in AAV manufacturing or PhD in life sciences with 2-4 years of AAV experience
- Experience in scaling up and purifying AAV is highly preferred
- Proven experience in Design of Experiment (DoE) methodology and data analysis
- Experience in writing technical documents including development technical reports
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with the proven ability to solve complex problems and to work effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team, detail oriented, and critical thinker.
- Ability to use literature to design proof of concept studies.
Be Biopharma is pioneering a new class of medicines, unleashing the power of B cells to create the new field of Engineered B Cell Medicines. B cells are the body’s protein producing factories, most widely known for making antibodies. Our leading B cell therapy platform, developed by the top scientific KOLs in the field and with strong IP protection, harnesses this capability to engineer B cells to produce any protein with potential therapeutic application. This creates a unique opportunity to rapidly design and develop a broad portfolio of disease changing products (our platform affords ready swapping in new genes for different disease indications) and to significantly scale the company to realize substantial value in a short period of time.
Importantly, and in contrast to other cell therapy modalities, Engineered B Cells engraft naturally (and thus are not expected to require preconditioning chemotherapy). They are also “naturally allogeneic”, and we expect most or all of our portfolio to be “off-the-shelf” medicines. We have a rich pipeline of initial medicines under development in Oncology and Severe Genetic Disease, and we will subsequently expand to other important indications (e.g. Infectious Disease, Autoimmune Disease, etc).
Our Cambridge-based team is led by highly experienced, mission-driven executives all of whom are experienced cell therapy veterans who played key roles in developing several of today’s most impactful marketed gene and cell therapies. The team is rapidly expanding, with 20 employees joining in the first half of 2021. We are making major strides in our proof-of-concept studies for our lead programs in Oncology and Rare Disease, which are on track for near-term clinical development. Be Biopharma was founded in 2020 with a 52M Series A financing round supported by a syndicate of leading biotech investors (Longwood Fund, Atlas, RA Capital, Alta).
The beating heart of Be Bio is our People and together we are building a culture driven by purpose, passion, and that’s full of character. We are “all-in” as we align ourselves with patients who need our medicines, and we embrace the highest standards of transparency, excellence, candor, collaboration, and team-based science with a shared ownership of company milestones and successes.
Our commitment to our team members is to deliver a compelling, dynamic work experience that enables them to continually stretch, grow, and learn, that enriches their lives, that fosters a sense of belonging and community, and that goes above and beyond to support them in big, meaningful ways in both their personal and professional lives. Be Bio is a team that works hard, plays hard, and supports each other on our shared journey to get transformative medicines to patients who need them.