Be Biopharma is looking to hire highly motivated, experienced, and innovative thinkers to join our growing team of passionate researchers to leverage B cells as a novel class of cellular medicine. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a foundational team and help build Be Bio!
Head of External Cell Therapy Global Manufacturing and Supply Chain is responsible for managing various contract manufacturing organizations (CMO’s)- plasmids, viral vector, gene-editing critical raw materials, cell culture media and supplements, and cell therapy drug products. The incumbent will lead an agile External Manufacturing & Supply Chain Quality organization to supply various cell therapy products to meet the clinical demand.
- Work closely with various orgs within TechOps (Quality, CMC-reg, manufacturing, Process, and Analytical Development) and Finance to achieve business goals.
- Leads external manufacturing and supply chain in cGMP compliance manner
- Responsible for establishment of Quality Agreements with various CMOs
- Makes Quality and Compliance decisions across external cell therapy manufacturing and supply chain sites
- Ensures Quality processes and compliance systems across the Cell Therapy external manufacturing and supply chain network.
- Leads continuous improvement initiatives across the Cell Therapy external manufacturing and supply chain function
- Oversees regulatory inspections by health authorities and ensures external manufacturing site inspection readiness
- Develop workforce staffing strategies to achieve the growth needed to meet the pipeline demand
- Build, develop and lead an engaged workforce and drive a high-performance culture
- Prepares annual financial budget and three-year operating plans
- Work with a sense of urgency and solves a complex problem
- Creates and maintains an environment where employees are fully engaged, willing to speak up, and develop and thrive.
- Experience in Biologics/Cell/Gene Therapy manufacturing is required.
- B.S./MS/Ph.D. degree in relevant Science with at least 10+ years of relevant leadership experience. An advanced degree is desired.
- Exceptional teamwork and communication skills
- Excellent technical writing and presentation skills
- Financial management experience, awareness, and strong acumen
- Demonstrated experience building and leading exceptional teams
Be Biopharma is pioneering a new class of medicines, unleashing the power of B cells to create the new field of Engineered B Cell Medicines. B cells are the body’s protein producing factories, most widely known for making antibodies. Our leading B cell therapy platform, developed by the top scientific KOLs in the field and with strong IP protection, harnesses this capability to engineer B cells to produce any protein with potential therapeutic application. This creates a unique opportunity to rapidly design and develop a broad portfolio of disease changing products (our platform affords ready swapping in new genes for different disease indications) and to significantly scale the company to realize substantial value in a short period of time.
Importantly, and in contrast to other cell therapy modalities, Engineered B Cells engraft naturally (and thus are not expected to require preconditioning chemotherapy). They are also “naturally allogeneic”, and we expect most or all of our portfolio to be “off-the-shelf” medicines. We have a rich pipeline of initial medicines under development in Oncology and Severe Genetic Disease, and we will subsequently expand to other important indications (e.g. Infectious Disease, Autoimmune Disease, etc).
Our Cambridge-based team is led by highly experienced, mission-driven executives all of whom are experienced cell therapy veterans who played key roles in developing several of today’s most impactful marketed gene and cell therapies. The team is rapidly expanding, with 20 employees joining in the first half of 2021. We are making major strides in our proof-of-concept studies for our lead programs in Oncology and Rare Disease, which are on track for near-term clinical development. Be Biopharma was founded in 2020 with a 52M Series A financing round supported by a syndicate of leading biotech investors (Longwood Fund, Atlas, RA Capital, Alta).
The beating heart of Be Bio is our People and together we are building a culture driven by purpose, passion, and that’s full of character. We are “all-in” as we align ourselves with patients who need our medicines, and we embrace the highest standards of transparency, excellence, candor, collaboration, and team-based science with a shared ownership of company milestones and successes.
Our commitment to our team members is to deliver a compelling, dynamic work experience that enables them to continually stretch, grow, and learn, that enriches their lives, that fosters a sense of belonging and community, and that goes above and beyond to support them in big, meaningful ways in both their personal and professional lives. Be Bio is a team that works hard, plays hard, and supports each other on our shared journey to get transformative medicines to patients who need them.