Be Biopharma is looking to hire highly motivated, experienced, and innovative thinkers to join our growing team of passionate researchers to leverage B cells as a novel class of cellular medicine. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a foundational team and help build Be Bio!
Be Biopharma is seeking a lead process development scientist to work on early-stage process development of novel B cells autologous and allogeneic programs. Under minimal supervision, you will be expected to design scale-down and at scale experiments, analyze data and communicate results to various stakeholders within Technical Operation. This is an excellent opportunity for career growth as you would interact with various programs teams as well as involved in regulatory document preparation.
- Establish Be Bio’s process development laboratory
- Establish process development capabilities- isolation, activation, gene-engineering, expansion and differentiation of B cells
- Design, conduct, and interpret process development and process optimization experiments
- Develop and qualify a scale down model
- Design, conduct, and interpret process characterization experiments
- Tech transfer to external CDMOs in collaboration with the Manufacturing team
- Support manufacturing investigations as needed
- Author and review technical documentation including risk assessments, technical protocols and reports
- Represent the team at meetings, as needed, and assist in the writing and review of CMC sections for regulatory submissions.
Minimum Requirements/ Qualifications
- PhD with 1+ years of industry experience, Master’s or bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of experience
- Strong background and in-depth understanding of culture techniques and cell processing technologies
- Design of Experiments (DoE) approaches to Process Characterization and in depth understanding of statistical data analysis/software such as JMP is required
- Excellent communication, technical writing, and presentation skills
- Independently motivated, detailed oriented and a good problem-solving ability
- Prior experience with Cellular Therapy product development is highly desirable
Be Biopharma is pioneering a new class of medicines, unleashing the power of B cells to create the new field of Engineered B Cell Medicines. B cells are the body’s protein producing factories, most widely known for making antibodies. Our leading B cell therapy platform, developed by the top scientific KOLs in the field and with strong IP protection, harnesses this capability to engineer B cells to produce any protein with potential therapeutic application. This creates a unique opportunity to rapidly design and develop a broad portfolio of disease changing products (our platform affords ready swapping in new genes for different disease indications) and to significantly scale the company to realize substantial value in a short period of time.
Importantly, and in contrast to other cell therapy modalities, Engineered B Cells engraft naturally (and thus are not expected to require preconditioning chemotherapy). They are also “naturally allogeneic”, and we expect most or all of our portfolio to be “off-the-shelf” medicines. We have a rich pipeline of initial medicines under development in Oncology and Severe Genetic Disease, and we will subsequently expand to other important indications (e.g. Infectious Disease, Autoimmune Disease, etc).
Our Cambridge-based team is led by highly experienced, mission-driven executives all of whom are experienced cell therapy veterans who played key roles in developing several of today’s most impactful marketed gene and cell therapies. The team is rapidly expanding, with 20 employees joining in the first half of 2021. We are making major strides in our proof-of-concept studies for our lead programs in Oncology and Rare Disease, which are on track for near-term clinical development. Be Biopharma was founded in 2020 with a 52M Series A financing round supported by a syndicate of leading biotech investors (Longwood Fund, Atlas, RA Capital, Alta).
The beating heart of Be Bio is our People and together we are building a culture driven by purpose, passion, and that’s full of character. We are “all-in” as we align ourselves with patients who need our medicines, and we embrace the highest standards of transparency, excellence, candor, collaboration, and team-based science with a shared ownership of company milestones and successes.
Our commitment to our team members is to deliver a compelling, dynamic work experience that enables them to continually stretch, grow, and learn, that enriches their lives, that fosters a sense of belonging and community, and that goes above and beyond to support them in big, meaningful ways in both their personal and professional lives. Be Bio is a team that works hard, plays hard, and supports each other on our shared journey to get transformative medicines to patients who need them.