Be Biopharma is looking to hire highly motivated, experienced, and innovative thinkers to join our growing team of passionate researchers to leverage B cells as a novel class of cellular medicine. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a foundational team and help build Be Bio!
The Principal Bioinformatics expert will support our Oncology and other programs. This is a unique opportunity to build the bioinformatics platform in these critical therapeutic areas. This role will have the chance to build broad, deep, data sets, codes, and applications that will play a critical role in our IND and NDA filings with transformative potential to impact patients lives.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Develop novel codes, analyses, and pipelines for optimizing B cell engineering, NGS, genotox studies, and understanding downstream lab results
- Interface with biologists for presentation of key studies to the FDA
- Analyze public and proprietary data sets to find biomarkers for oncology and other therapeutic areas
- Generate new hypotheses from the analysis of proprietary clinical data
- Create shiny apps for presentation of analyses
- Mentor future bioinformatics employees and assist in managing outsourced bioinformaticians
Minimum Experience, Education, and Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
Must thrive in a fast-paced, growing, and innovative environment where flexibility, resourcefulness, resiliency, and communication skills are key. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with your stakeholders, and being an all around good company citizen are essential.
- PhD in Biology, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or related discipline with 3+ years experience; MS with 6+ years experience; BS with 10+ years experience
- Expert coding skills required; R, Python, C++, Java, or other major programming languages
- Experience in NGS, CRISPR, single cell sequencing bioinformatics analyses and implementing pipelines
- Experience in large data sets processing, statistical analysis, and data visualization
- Able to work independently
Preferred Experience, Education, and Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Bench experience
- Cloud computing experience
- Oncology and/or immunology experience
- Worked with relational databases / SQL
Be Biopharma is pioneering a new class of medicines, unleashing the power of B cells to create the new field of Engineered B Cell Medicines. B cells are the body’s protein producing factories, most widely known for making antibodies. Our leading B cell therapy platform, developed by the top scientific KOLs in the field and with strong IP protection, harnesses this capability to engineer B cells to produce any protein with potential therapeutic application. This creates a unique opportunity to rapidly design and develop a broad portfolio of disease changing products (our platform affords ready swapping in new genes for different disease indications) and to significantly scale the company to realize substantial value in a short period of time.
Importantly, and in contrast to other cell therapy modalities, Engineered B Cells engraft naturally (and thus are not expected to require preconditioning chemotherapy). They are also “naturally allogeneic”, and we expect most or all of our portfolio to be “off-the-shelf” medicines. We have a rich pipeline of initial medicines under development in Oncology and Severe Genetic Disease, and we will subsequently expand to other important indications (e.g. Infectious Disease, Autoimmune Disease, etc).
Our Cambridge-based team is led by highly experienced, mission-driven executives all of whom are experienced cell therapy veterans who played key roles in developing several of today’s most impactful marketed gene and cell therapies. The team is rapidly expanding, with 20 employees joining in the first half of 2021. We are making major strides in our proof-of-concept studies for our lead programs in Oncology and Rare Disease, which are on track for near-term clinical development. Be Biopharma was founded in 2020 with a 52M Series A financing round supported by a syndicate of leading biotech investors (Longwood Fund, Atlas, RA Capital, Alta).
The beating heart of Be Bio is our People and together we are building a culture driven by purpose, passion, and that’s full of character. We are “all-in” as we align ourselves with patients who need our medicines, and we embrace the highest standards of transparency, excellence, candor, collaboration, and team-based science with a shared ownership of company milestones and successes.
Our commitment to our team members is to deliver a compelling, dynamic work experience that enables them to continually stretch, grow, and learn, that enriches their lives, that fosters a sense of belonging and community, and that goes above and beyond to support them in big, meaningful ways in both their personal and professional lives. Be Bio is a team that works hard, plays hard, and supports each other on our shared journey to get transformative medicines to patients who need them.