Be Biopharma is looking to hire highly motivated, experienced, and innovative thinkers to join our growing team of passionate researchers to leverage B cells as a novel class of cellular medicine. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a foundational team and help build Be Bio!
- Perform cellular biology workflows on primary cells (cell culture including isolation, maintenance and differentiation of primary B cells, flow cytometry, protein quantification, and other molecular biology techniques)
- Engineer therapeutic B cell products including site-specific genome editing in primary B cells (designing & using appropriate genome editing techniques including cell electroporation and viral vector design)
- Supervise and participate in the design, construction and testing of functional therapeutic proteins for engineered cells in cell assays and in preclinical models, including reagent design and procurement
- Troubleshoot and innovate around proprietary protocols
- Provide assistance in establishment and utilization of pre-clinical models
- The position involves hands-on experimental cellular and molecular immunology and will require the applicant to draw on diverse knowledge and experience to design and execute experiments in the laboratory.
- And other duties as assigned
Minimum Experience, Education, and Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
Must thrive in a fast-paced, growing, and innovative environment where flexibility, resourcefulness, resiliency, and communication skills are key. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with your stakeholders, and being an all around good company citizen are essential!
- Ph.D. degree in Biological Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Immunology, or closely related field with a track record of substantial research accomplishments
- 1-4 years relevant experience in biopharmaceutical or biotechnology industry with a role in cellular engineering (title commensurate with experience)
- Demonstrated record of scientific achievement (strong publication and/or patent record)
- Proven ability to establish and troubleshoot molecular biology techniques
- Experience with ex vivo cellular engineering is strongly preferred
- A deep understanding of conventional immunological techniques with extensive experience with primary cell culture (including primary B cells) and cell-based assays
- Ability to work efficiently both independently and in a team environment
- Scientific creativity, critical thinking, ability to innovate, and analytical problem solving
- Experience in project management and excellent communication skills
Be Biopharma is pioneering a new class of medicines, unleashing the power of B cells to create the new field of Engineered B Cell Medicines. B cells are the body’s protein producing factories, most widely known for making antibodies. Our leading B cell therapy platform, developed by the top scientific KOLs in the field and with strong IP protection, harnesses this capability to engineer B cells to produce any protein with potential therapeutic application. This creates a unique opportunity to rapidly design and develop a broad portfolio of disease changing products (our platform affords ready swapping in new genes for different disease indications) and to significantly scale the company to realize substantial value in a short period of time.
Importantly, and in contrast to other cell therapy modalities, Engineered B Cells engraft naturally (and thus are not expected to require preconditioning chemotherapy). They are also “naturally allogeneic”, and we expect most or all of our portfolio to be “off-the-shelf” medicines. We have a rich pipeline of initial medicines under development in Oncology and Severe Genetic Disease, and we will subsequently expand to other important indications (e.g. Infectious Disease, Autoimmune Disease, etc).
Our Cambridge-based team is led by highly experienced, mission-driven executives all of whom are experienced cell therapy veterans who played key roles in developing several of today’s most impactful marketed gene and cell therapies. The team is rapidly expanding, with 20 employees joining in the first half of 2021. We are making major strides in our proof-of-concept studies for our lead programs in Oncology and Rare Disease, which are on track for near-term clinical development. Be Biopharma was founded in 2020 with a 52M Series A financing round supported by a syndicate of leading biotech investors (Longwood Fund, Atlas, RA Capital, Alta).
The beating heart of Be Bio is our People and together we are building a culture driven by purpose, passion, and that’s full of character. We are “all-in” as we align ourselves with patients who need our medicines, and we embrace the highest standards of transparency, excellence, candor, collaboration, and team-based science with a shared ownership of company milestones and successes.
Our commitment to our team members is to deliver a compelling, dynamic work experience that enables them to continually stretch, grow, and learn, that enriches their lives, that fosters a sense of belonging and community, and that goes above and beyond to support them in big, meaningful ways in both their personal and professional lives. Be Bio is a team that works hard, plays hard, and supports each other on our shared journey to get transformative medicines to patients who need them.