Be Biopharma is looking to hire highly motivated, experienced, and innovative thinkers to join our growing team of passionate researchers to leverage B cells as a novel class of cellular medicine. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a foundational team and help build Be Bio!
Be Biopharma is looking to hire a Head of B Cell Therapeutics. We are looking for highly motivated, experienced, and innovative thinkers to join our growing team of passionate researchers to leverage B cells as a novel class of cellular medicine. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a foundational team and help build Be Bio!
Role & Responsibilities:
- Leads the development of our discovery-stage B cell therapeutics platform from the ground up
- Pioneers the design, creation, sourcing, and execution of all necessary capabilities and know-how in a hands-on manner
- Builds and retains a leading team of high-performing B cell genetic engineers (scientists & RAs) that can realize the company’s goals
- Works closely with the Chief Scientific Officer and other technical leads to define product specifications from desirable target product profiles
- Leads development of R&D grade analytical methods that deeply profile the properties of attractive B cell populations
- Ultimately responsible for delivery of R&D grade and scale material that meets product candidate specifications for preclinical testing in appropriate models
- Consistently strives to improve capabilities with cutting edge techniques and tools
Experience, Education, Specialized Knowledge, and Skills:
Must thrive in a fast-paced, growing, and innovative environment where flexibility, resourcefulness, resiliency, and communication skills are key. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with your stakeholders, and being an all around good company citizen are essential. Demonstrated ability to manage a high-performing team where collaboration and innovation are essential.
- PhD in Immunology, Cell Biology, Biological Engineering, or equivalent
- 4-6 years of outstanding experience in leadership roles within biotech or pharma companies that are developing cell and/or gene therapies discovery stage programs
- Demonstrable track record in cell engineering, especially primary human immune cells, using cutting edge genomic editing tools in a drug development environment
- Expertise in advanced cell culture techniques, including familiarity with large-scale compatible manufacturing techniques and industry best practices
- Demonstrated know-how with viral vector engineering, especially AAV, for use in ex vivo or in vivo cell engineering
- Familiarity with cutting edge standards and including analytical methodologies for cell medicine development
- Background in B cell biology/immunology highly desirable
Be Biopharma is developing a proprietary class of engineered B cell medicines to unleash the power of cell therapies beyond cell-cell contact-dependent killing (e.g., CAR-T cells). As the centerpiece of the body’s non-contact dependent humoral immune system, B cells offer a platform for cell therapy that can secrete large amounts of diverse molecular cargo in a physiologically-regulated manner. Based on discoveries by David Rawlings, MD (Chief of Immunology, Seattle Children’s and U Washington) and Richard James, PhD (Assoc Prof of Pediatrics, Seattle Children’s and U Washington), Be Biopharma is developing a pipeline of engineered B cell medicines that can restore lost signaling, regulate disease-causing pathways, and promote defense. The company will aim to demonstrate rapid proof-of-concept in genetically-defined monogenic disease, in parallel expanding to a broader set of applications across immune disease and oncology. Be Biopharma was founded in 2020 and is supported by a syndicate of leading biotech investors.