Beautycounter is the leader in clean skin care, makeup, and personal care, with a mission to get safer products into the hands of everyone. We go above and beyond clean to set the highest bar in beauty through our safety standards—including ingredient transparency, sustainable packaging, and responsible sourcing. Launched in 2013 as a direct-to-consumer retail beauty brand and Certified B Corporation, we develop and distribute approximately 100 products across our collections in skin care, makeup, and personal care in the U.S. and Canada.
Beautycounter and global investment firm The Carlyle Group have announced that Carlyle has acquired a majority stake in Beautycounter. The partnership will allow Beautycounter to accelerate its strategic initiatives, including increasing brand awareness as well as bolstering the company’s innovative, integrated, omni-channel business model. The transaction valued the company at $1 billion.
The Senior Manager of Product Development – Care will be responsible for contributing to the conceptualization, initiation, development, evaluation and follow-through for Care product development and formula improvements in line with Beautycounter’s Mission and “Never List”. You will collaborate with the VP of Product Development, the Director of Care, internal and external partners to ensure the parameters of each project are aligned with the product development concept, timeline, budget with attention to detail in execution.
- Manage, Develop and Grow Sr. Coordinator of Product Development, Care – growing and coaching their product development skillset/ expertise.
- Manage multiple skin care/ hair care/ body care projects (various product formats) concurrent with a high attention to detail, while being agile and adaptable to change in a fast-paced, environment.
- Lead weekly meetings with Project Management, Product Marketing and R&D leads, to align on formula performance, feedback throughout the development life cycle, and beyond.
- Contribute to the development of clean beauty, innovative product concepts that generate new opportunities and address white-space opportunities for brand growth.
- Manage and lead new and/or reformulation formula development briefs, while creating innovation concepts, technology and/or ingredient storytelling with the VP and Director of Product Development.
- Perform competitive research on new products, ingredient technologies, and competitive brand analysis to establish supporting data towards new products concepts.
- Collaborate with Sourcing, Supply Chain, Quality, Regulatory and Packaging on tech transfer for all projects. Inclusive of Line Trial process.
- Interact directly with internal Beautycounter R&D lab, strategic contract manufacturer partners and formulators to track projects and drive progress, on time and on budget, throughout the development process.
- Collaborate with Safety, Sustainability and Regulatory Affairs to ensure new formula development and reformulations meet Beautycounter’s mission and commitments to performance and safety.
- Collaborate with VP of PD, Director of PD and Product Marketing Team to establish formula performance for all new formula development and reformulation development.
- Align on proposed claims with Product Marketing, Legal and Regulatory to substantiate proposed product claims, key ingredient stories, and feature & benefits summaries.
- Review Creative assets for claims substantiation, in collaboration with Legal.
- Collaborate closely with the cross functional teams (Product Marketing, Project Management, Quality, Operations/Supply Chain, Sourcing, Package Development, Safety, Sustainability, and Regulatory Affairs) to ensure products are brought to market on-time and on-budget.
- Track assigned milestones for all projects in partnership with Project Management team.
- Works with VP of Product Development to ensure that processes according to Stage Gate are followed during development and communicated cross functionally.
- Manage and report all clinical, sensory and consumer testing for products in development, as needed.
- Travel to contract manufacturers to perform on-site formula development/ evaluation, pilot/ scale-up and production batching, as needed.
- Attend industry events, trade shows and supplier meetings to stay abreast of current trends and technologies, as needed/ where applicable.
What you will bring to this role:
- Minimum 5-6 years of product development experience and acumen in Care Product Development (strong experience in skin care and hair care strongly preferred).
- Commitment and passion for our mission and living Beautycounter Values - Transparent, Forward Thinking, Thoughtful, Determined and Spirited.
- Passion for the beauty/ personal care consumers, innovation, market and industry trends.
- Proven track record of creating and executing compelling innovation strategies and product launches.
- Experience with managing contract manufacturer and supplier relationships.
- Drive & Hustle: Ability to multi-task effectively in a fast-paced environment and a capacity to manage project timelines under the guidance of Stage Gate.
- Communication: Effective communication and collaboration with internal cross-functional organizations - from individual contributors to senior leadership.
- Strong collaboration with internal Beautycounter R&D lab and external partners, demonstrating excellent verbal and written communication, project organization and project management skills.
- Efficiently anticipate, identify and articulate challenges in real-time and identify solutions.
- Work autonomously, while keeping Director of Care abreast to critical milestones, challenges and development needs.
- Bachelor’s degree required with an emphasis in Business or Science.
- 5+ years of experience in product development within the personal care industry. (Strong experience in skin care and hair care preferred)
- Leveraging natural curiosity to drive the identification of opportunities for creativity & innovation.
- Demonstrates creative problem solving, excellent conceptual development skills and strong strategic, analytical thinking.
- Strong proficiency in evaluating and re-directing formula for all care category formats.
- Experience working with R&D and Quality Assurance teams.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and be flexible.
- Detail oriented and strong organizational skills.
- Willingness to travel up to 20%, domestically.
At Beautycounter we are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.