Beautycounter is the leader in clean skin care, makeup, and personal care, with a mission to get safer products into the hands of everyone. We go above and beyond clean to set the highest bar in beauty through our safety standards—including ingredient transparency, sustainable packaging, and responsible sourcing. Launched in 2013 as a direct-to-consumer retail beauty brand and Certified B Corporation, we develop and distribute approximately 100 products across our collections in skin care, makeup, and personal care in the U.S. and Canada.
Beautycounter and global investment firm The Carlyle Group have announced that Carlyle has acquired a majority stake in Beautycounter. The partnership will allow Beautycounter to accelerate its strategic initiatives, including increasing brand awareness as well as bolstering the company’s innovative, integrated, omni-channel business model. The transaction valued the company at $1 billion.
We're looking for a Sr. Front End Engineer to work with our team dedicated to delivering cleaner, safer code for the core shopping experience of our ecommerce platform. The team is made up of full-stack and front-end engineers who are tasked with feature development and maintenance of beautycounter.com. As a team, we are always investigating new and improved technologies to create the most responsive and performant beauty website possible.
We expect this engineer to be able to:
- Exhibit thoughtful, mindful, and inclusive communication
- Use standard engineering tools to accomplish work such as an IDE, debugging tools, Git, and graphics editors like Sketch and Figma
- Interpret feature requirements and create responsive designs for our web application
- Discuss task requirements with necessary stakeholders to identify concerns and ask questions
- Solve unique problems that might not have readily available answers
- Understand the complexity of modern client-side engineering ("front of the frontend and back of the frontend")
- Converse about applied technology with others
- Be a forward-thinking partner on how to progress the platform and innovate on engineer-led initiatives
- Provide thoughtful and helpful insights on code reviews to ensure code complies with engineering standards
- Manage projects/requests with differing priority levels
- Participate in/enjoy mentoring and be open to learning from others
- Engage in test-and-learn approaches to use data for iterating on features and concepts
- Create architectural plans for features and present to project stakeholders
- Suggest process improvements and implement plans with team guidance
- First week: Set up your local environment, read team/department documentation, put up your first pull request.
- First sprint: Arrange introductory meetings with leaders in the department and learn what services each team manages. Participate in team code reviews.
- First 30 days: Release a feature (one that can be completed in less than one sprint) to production under a feature flag.
- First 60 days: Participate in our team learning sessions by creating a presentation on a topic of your choice.
- First 90 days: Identify a feature or process you’re passionate about and take responsibility for the next phase of its development. This could be a new or existing feature on our website, a process within the department, or an area of our upcoming replatform. You would own this project end to end: creating architectural diagrams, hold design reviews, partner with product and project management to bring your ideas to fruition and measure its performance once it’s launched.
We are looking for someone who has:
- 5+ years of professional front-end development experience for applications that exist across multiple device types and platforms
- A solid understanding of server-side-rendered applications
- Familiarity with basic web performance and maintenance for the frontend such as unit testing, end-to-end testing, accessibility, core web vitals, monitoring, and logging
- A good foundation for CSS, Sass, and design systems
- A good understanding of browser intricacies and how they interact with front-end technologies
- Experience releasing features incrementally under feature flags
- Excellent technical and non-technical communication skills
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving, and time management skills
What would be helpful:
- Experience building ecommerce applications
- Familiarity with cloud-based architecture (Google Cloud Platform, AWS, etc.) and Node.js
- Familiarity with analytics tools (Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, etc.)
- Experience with Content Management Systems
- Experience with logging and monitoring systems
- Experience with edge servers and caching
- Familiarity with CI/CD pipelines features like Github Actions, Docker, etc.
At Beautycounter we are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.