Beautycounter is the leader in clean skin care, makeup, and personal care, with a mission to get safer products into the hands of everyone. We go above and beyond clean to set the highest bar in beauty through our safety standards—including ingredient transparency, sustainable packaging, and responsible sourcing. Launched in 2013 as a direct-to-consumer retail beauty brand and Certified B Corporation, we develop and distribute approximately 100 products across our collections in skin care, makeup, and personal care in the U.S. and Canada.
Beautycounter and global investment firm The Carlyle Group have announced that Carlyle has acquired a majority stake in Beautycounter. The partnership will allow Beautycounter to accelerate its strategic initiatives, including increasing brand awareness as well as bolstering the company’s innovative, integrated, omni-channel business model. The transaction valued the company at $1 billion.
We are looking for a great Sr. Software Engineer, Full Stack who can help build out Beautycounter’s Shopping platform. The ideal candidate will be able to collaborate with our top-notch engineering team & product managers, and build great services and features for our customers, and then work with our highly-skilled engineers in both code reviews and architecture discussions to help drive forward a cohesive code base.
In this role you will:
- Develop new full stack functionality including components and supporting APIs
- Help maintain a cohesive, well-engineered code base
- Integrate with a team of engineers and participate in a collaborative, code review environment
- Interface with business stakeholders regarding delivery of features
- Drive engineering efficiency improvements through increasing unit test coverage, writing documentation, addressing tech debt, etc.
- Be adaptable to changes in requirements and think proactively about opportunities to increase productivity and system hardening
- Serve as a mentor to junior engineers and help them grow their skillsets
In your first week, you will:
- Set up your local environment, read team/department documentation, put up your first pull request.
In your first sprint (two weeks), you will:
- Arrange introductory meetings with leaders in the department and learn what services each team manages and their vision for each area of the platform.
- Be an active participant in team code reviews.
- Participate in scrum ceremonies (meetings) for your team’s sprint.
By 30 days you will:
- Develop a new promotion rule for an upcoming product launch or promotion, which will enable new customers to try Beautycounter products.
- Release a feature (one that can be completed in less than one sprint) to production under a feature flag.
- Become familiar with our team KPIs and existing processes.
By 60 days you will:
- Begin to develop an understanding of the larger system architecture and how your team’s roles and responsibilities interact with other teams.
- Be an active participant in the re-platform of our promotion tooling to improve the ecommerce experience.
- Demo a feature you worked on to the greater technology organization.
By 90 Days you will:
- Identify an aspect of the re-platform project that you can own and spearhead. You would work in creating architectural diagrams, hold design reviews, partner with product and project management to gather all requirements and create a project plan and devise a way to measure the performance once this is launched.
- Become an active participant in our on-call schedule in PagerDuty, including building observability into your features in progress or released.
We are looking for someone who has:
- 5+ years of professional work experience building Full-stack features
- Experience with React or any modern FE Framework
- Experience with a FE state management library like MobX or Redux
- Experience with RESTful APIs and concepts
- interested in Serverless architectures / frameworks and microservices
- Interested in solving problems at scale
- Cloud experience in GCP or AWS
- Experience with JS unit and integration testing frameworks
- Experience with logging, monitoring, system health and troubleshooting production issues
- Experience with NoSQL or SQL databases and knowledge of best practices for data structures
- Strong written and verbal skills for interfacing with business stakeholders and providing documentation
What would be helpful:
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with ecommerce, order management or direct sales
- Experience with Typescript
- Experience with CI/CD tools such as Travis, Cloud build, and deploying code to production
Experience with operations i.e. capacity planning, incident response, security scanning
At Beautycounter we are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.