Salary: Competitive Start Date: ASAP
Do you like the idea of developing your career as a manager, but want to hold onto the hands-on development? Then look no further….
We have a fantastic opportunity for someone (you, we hope?) to lead their own squad & get down into the nitty gritty development of our platform. Though we’re very happy with it, we think there is still loads more we can do. Come join our smart & friendly team (check out our Glassdoor to see just how fantastic our team is!) and take a leading role in our platform’s future...
Through our platform, we’re the market leading provider of data on the fastest growing companies in the UK (think Monzo and Babylon!). Using ideas from both the company and our subscribers alike, our Dev team is the driving force behind implementing platform improvements and therefore key to our ongoing success as a company.
As we continue to grow our Dev team of (11 → 17 in the past year), we need a Full Stack team lead to come in & lead a small squad based in Nottingham. This would involve hands-on platform development, working closely with our Product team, and being responsible for managing a small squad of full stack software engineers.
Day-to-day your responsibilities might include:
- Leading on architectural design: being a key decision-maker in the platform team & having ultimate responsibility for the design of different features
- Working with the Product team: helping product managers and designers turn their ideas into reality, whilst prioritising usability and performance
- Delivering quick wins: making quick improvements to the platform so we can make our users' work just a little bit easier
- Line managing & mentoring: supporting junior team members as their line manager to help them grow & develop their skills
Examples of the kind of projects you could be leading on:
- Working with our product team to make our current features like ‘Collections of companies’ & ‘People you know’ on the platform easier to find and use
- Upgrading our Advanced Search tool to help our users find the right companies faster
- Integrating the machine learning models we've built in-house to allow semantic search for companies
- Handling performance & usability issues and helping to upgrade our tools to work with the data we have on the 10 million+ registered companies in the UK
There is no ‘one size fits all’ for this role, but you should broadly meet the following criteria.
Technical must haves:
- 3+ years python with a web framework e.g. Django or Flask (we use Django)
- Experience with git.
- Understanding of user-centric problem solving
Great to have (but not essential):
- Experience: Django Rest Framework, PostgreSQL, Celery, Docker, NGINX, AWS.
Also, ideally you will be:
- Detail-oriented – you are meticulous with a keen eye for detail and know how to apply feedback to your work
- A team player - you work well with others, can argue your case & make suitable compromises and you want to grow within the team & contribute to defining it
- Natural problem solver – you love getting deep into a problem & working hard to find the solution.
We're offering a competitive starting salary and we invest a lot in keeping our people happy and healthy! So as well as that, you'll also get:
- Training: Structured training & ongoing personal development
- Wellbeing: Free coaching, counselling and virtual yoga/mindfulness sessions
- Socials: Drinks every Friday, office parties, company away days and regular team events
- Options: Substantial options scheme, so you can share in the growth you help create
- Talks: Interesting speakers in the office and on Zoom
- Snacks: Unlimited supply of healthy snacks and drinks
- Books: You can order any relevant books you like or come along to our book club evening
- Travel loans: Rail season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Hybrid working: Flexible office & remote working – see below for more details
We are the market-leader for tracking the most exciting companies in the UK. Through a combination of people power and machine learning, our data platform helps over 20 different industries invest in, understand, and partner with start-ups and scale-ups all over the country.
Other than the product, our real key to our success is our wonderful culture. Based in the heart of vibrant Brixton, we’re a supportive, close-knit group with a range of interests and quirks - from bakers, to artists, to beer-brewers to gamers. To drive our company forward, we take responsibility for our work & embrace our mistakes, continually challenge ourselves & each other to do better, and be proactive & energetic in everything we do!
Like most companies, we’ve been umm-ing and ahh-ing about this for months, trying to work out what the perfect balance between in-office and remote working should look like for us. And we’ll be totally upfront with you – it’s really hard! We don’t yet know what exactly our policy on this should look like long term. But we’re keen to share what we are currently doing. We’d also love to chat to you more about this in the course of the interview process so please do ask us questions!
And what are we doing at the moment?
- We’re currently running a trial, during which we’re asking everyone to spend at least 60% of each month in an office (London or Nottingham)
- We’ll be reviewing how this is going in February and again at the end of the trial – we'll take into account how everyone in the company is finding it, how managers think it's going, as well as considering it from the "company perspective"
Ticking all the boxes?
To apply please submit:
- Your updated CV
- Answers to a couple of simple screening questions below