Salary: £28-30k Start Date: ASAP
Have you ever wondered how some of the most ambitious and successful companies in the UK (like Deliveroo & Monzo) grow so rapidly? On our platform, we track these companies, the people behind them & the ecosystem around them.
Though we’re very happy with our platform, we think there is still loads more we can do with it. We are looking for someone who wants to kick-start their full-stack development career working on improving a cutting-edge product as part of a smart & friendly team (check out our Glassdoor to see just how fantastic our team is!).
Sounds interesting? Then read on...
Through our platform, we’re the market leading provider of data on the fastest growing companies in the UK (think Monzo and Babylon!). Using ideas from both the company and our subscribers alike, our Dev team is the driving force behind implementing platform improvements and therefore key to our ongoing success as a company.
We need a keen software engineer (you, we hope?) to help us deliver new and improved ways of accessing, storing, analysing, and presenting our data to make our product better than ever before! You’ll be joining a growing team of 17 software engineers within a platform squad of 6 based primarily in London.
Day-to-day your responsibilities might include:
- Delivering quick wins: making quick improvements to the platform so we can make our users' work just a little bit easier
- Feature creation: building APIs to expose new datasets and creating new frontend components for features as we add them to the platform
- Working with the Product team: helping product managers and designers turn their ideas into reality, whilst prioritising usability and performance
Examples of the kind of projects could you be working on:
- Working with our product team to make our current features like ‘Collections of companies’ & ‘People you know’ on the platform easier to find and use
- Upgrading our Advanced Search tool to help our users find the right companies faster
- Integrating the machine learning models we've built in-house to allow semantic search for companies
- Handling performance & usability issues and helping to upgrade our tools to work with the data we have on the 10 million+ registered companies in the UK
And much more! Don’t worry though, we don’t expect you to be an expert on day one – you’ll receive some thorough training on all of our various tools as part of our onboarding.
There is no one size fits all for this role, you could be any of the following:
- A fresh University graduate from a Computer Science degree
- Someone who has completed a coding bootcamp,
- Someone who has been writing code commercially (or even just in your spare time!)
Technical must haves:
Great to have (but not essential):
For extra brownie points.
- Understanding of some of the following: Django Rest Framework, PostgreSQL, Celery, Docker, NGINX, AWS, git or github.
Also, ideally you will be:
- Detail-oriented – you are meticulous with a keen eye for detail and know how to apply feedback to your work
- Independent and proactive – You should be happy to take on small projects and run with them but also know when to ask for a helping hand!
- Natural problem solver – you love getting deep into a problem & working hard to find the solution.
We're offering a competitive starting salary and we invest a lot in keeping our people happy and healthy! So as well as that, you'll also get:
- Training: Structured training & ongoing personal development
- Wellbeing: Free coaching, counselling and virtual yoga/mindfulness sessions
- Socials: Drinks every Friday, office parties, company away days and regular team events
- Options: Substantial options scheme, so you can share in the growth you help create
- Talks: Interesting speakers in the office and on Zoom
- Snacks: Unlimited supply of healthy snacks and drinks
- Books: You can order any relevant books you like or come along to our book club evening
- Travel loans: Rail season ticket loan and cycle to work scheme
- Hybrid working: Flexible office & remote working – see below for more details
We are the market-leader for tracking the most exciting companies in the UK. Through a combination of people power and machine learning, our data platform helps over 20 different industries invest in, understand, and partner with start-ups and scale-ups all over the country.
Other than the product, our real key to our success is our wonderful culture. Based in the heart of vibrant Brixton, we’re a supportive, close-knit group with a range of interests and quirks - from bakers, to artists, to beer-brewers to gamers. To drive our company forward, we take responsibility for our work & embrace our mistakes, continually challenge ourselves & each other to do better, and be proactive & energetic in everything we do!
Like most companies, we’ve been umm-ing and ahh-ing about this for months, trying to work out what the perfect balance between in-office and remote working should look like for us. And we’ll be totally upfront with you – it’s really hard! We don’t yet know what exactly our policy on this should look like long term. But we’re keen to share what we are currently doing. We’d also love to chat to you more about this in the course of the interview process so please do ask us questions!
And what are we doing at the moment?
- We’re currently running a trial, during which we’re asking everyone to spend at least 60% of each month in an office (London or Nottingham)
- We’ll be reviewing how this is going in February and again at the end of the trial – we'll take into account how everyone in the company is finding it, how managers think it's going, as well as considering it from the "company perspective"
Ticking all the boxes?
To apply please submit:
- Your updated CV
- Answers to a couple of simple screening questions below