Βeat is a mobile app that transforms the way people move in their cities. Tap a button on your smartphone and you get a ride in just a few minutes. Beat’s mission is to become part of people’s everyday life by making transportation more affordable, convenient, efficient and safe, while providing enormous economic opportunities to thousands of people who wish to earn extra income as drivers.
Beat is part of the FREE NOW group, the ride-hailing joint venture of BMW and Daimler. The app was founded in Athens, Greece, starting its life as “TaxiBeat”. Within 3 years of operations in the Greek capital, Beat extended its service in Latin America, starting from Peru. Today, it’s the fastest growing ride-hailing service in this region, serving millions of rides every day. Beat is currently available in Greece, Peru, Chile, Colombia and Mexico and has a Tech Innovation and Engineering Hub in the Netherlands.
We are constantly growing our world-class engineering team and developing innovative projects including car-pooling, personalized services, real time dynamic pricing mechanisms, sophisticated routing and dispatching algorithms and fraud detection/prevention systems.
About the role
We're accepting these challenges by applying data, algorithms and machine learning to problems in logistics, routes, personalization, search and more. Our Machine Learning team is at the heart of this effort and is an essential ingredient at Beat’s aggressive growth plan and vision for the future.
As a member of our team, you will take on some of our biggest challenges and your work will impact the entire Beat experience. At Beat, we use ML to handle challenges like predicting the uncertainty, understanding and modelling complexity, examining and making real-time decisions on vast heterogeneous data sources. Machine learning is at the core of what Beat does. Our work forms the glue between science, research and application.
Our team moves very fast, so you’ll have the opportunity to make an immediate difference.
What you'll do day in day out:
- Solve complex logistics problems, so we can make our passengers happy getting from point A to point B the fastest possible.
- Predict the future, like modelling pickup times and forecasting supply & demand in real time.
- Develop "smart" dynamic pricing and fraud detection mechanisms
- Personalize the customer’s experience, with the end result of minimizing the number of interactions between user and application.
- Help utilize our drivers’ working time by being in the right place at the right time.
- Identify many other interesting problems to solve.
- Working closely with engineers, designers, product managers and operations teams to iterate on solutions.
What you need to have:
- Master's degree in Math, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or other quantitative discipline. Higher degrees are highly appreciated as is considerable experience with Machine Learning, Statistical Analysis, Big Data Analytics in the industry.
- 4+ years of experience using statistical insights and software to solve real-world problems.
- Experience with Python. Additional experience and competence in software engineering are preferred. Specifically, we would favour candidates with a strong engineering background and competence in Scala.
- Hands-on experience with SQL, NoSQL, Apache Hadoop, Spark and Tensorflow/ Keras.
- A strong sense of ownership in your work.
- Good numerical and analytical skills with an excellent eye for detail working with qualitative and quantitative data.
- The desire to build, launch and iterate on products with limited direction.
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive salary package
- Flexible working hours
- Training opportunities, according to Beat’s training policy, in order to develop your skills and expertise
- High tech equipment and top line tools
- High quality daily lunch on a very low cost
- Commuter Benefits Program
Supplementary pension scheme provided by Beat
- Being part of an environment that gives engineers large goals, autonomy, mentoring and creates incredible opportunities both for you and the company
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Beat is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.