Beacon Biosignals is seeking a Mobile Application Engineer to lead the development of the core user interface to Beacon's in-development wearable biosensor, a critical component of Beacon's technology ecosystem to unlock scalable brain health metrics and accelerates precision medicine for millions of patients with severe neurological and psychiatric disease.
As a Mobile Application Engineer, you'll work hand-in-hand with our hardware team, Platform teams, and executive stakeholders to...
- ...build an expertly-design product that unlocks brain health monitoring capabilities that are unprecedented with regards to accessibility, longitudinality, and robustness.
- ...establish tight feedback loops with real users in a myriad of target clinical trial environments and usage scenarios, including both in-hospital and at-home monitoring.
- ...design and implement features that augment the product with the analytical capabilities of Beacon's Platform.
At Beacon, we believe a diverse team builds more robust systems and achieves higher impact. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply!
- You have substantial experience standing up new React Native/TypeScript projects and seeing them through the full lifecycle of application development, from feature conceptualization, to implementation, to usage testing.
- You have experience working on mobile applications that serve as the core user interface for wearable sensor devices.
- You have experience and/or excited to work on mobile applications that integrate with medical devices.
- You're deeply tuned into the open source React Native/TypeScript ecosystem and relevant contemporary tools/practices.
- You've built and maintained mobile applications backed by GraphQL APIs and data streaming services (e.g. audio/video). You're well-acquainted with the intersection of backend data lifecycles and frontend data lifecycles, and that intersection's impact on end users.
- You've witnessed firsthand how fast a team can move when they're enabled by first-class CI/CD/tools, and how much friction poorly designed tools/systems can introduce into the development cycle.
- You have experience developing mobile applications that function well even in poor network conditions.
- You have experience integrating BLE peripheral devices with iOS and/or Android applications.
- You have experience implementing BLE profiles and Core Bluetooth Frameworks.
Not sure if you meet 100% of our qualifications? There are numerous reports that systemically marginalized people (e.g. women) are less likely to apply for a job, but are more likely to be hired if they do apply. If you think you could thrive in this role, we encourage you to apply even if not every bullet perfectly describes you.
At Beacon, we've found that cultural and scientific impact is driven most by those that lead by example. As such, we're always seeking new contributors whose work demonstrates an avid curiosity, a bias towards simplicity, an eye for composability, a self-service mindset, and - most of all - a deep empathy towards colleagues, stakeholders, users, and patients.
Do any of the following resonate? If so, please reach out!
- You're excited to build better workflows for clinicians and trial participants to achieve better outcomes for patients.
- You keep yourself up to date on the latest developments in the React Native ecosystem, and have an eye for the important details of React-specific idioms.
- You've overcome the plethora of challenges inherent to building robust Bluetooth-integrated mobile applications.
- You've collaborated on robust, well-developed React Native applications, but have also grappled with ramshackle, scrappy codebases. You know how to grow the latter into the former to level up both the product and the team.
- You take full advantage of the Typescript compiler's guarantees to write robust code that eliminates *categories* of problems, instead of just addressing the code smells.
- You're familiar with GraphQL-based APIs, and can build consumers that scale well.
- You're adept at identifying optimization bottlenecks, and debuggers and code profiling tools are an important part of your toolkit.
- You believe that "looks great" does not necessarily equal "feels great"...but your favorite applications accomplish both!
- You take joy in code composability and extensibility, but have also witnessed the damage that results from leaky abstractions.
- You consider unit tests and integration tests to be table stakes for every contribution. You're keen on the use of frameworks such as Jest and Cypress to keep code quality high and catch bugs earlier in the development cycle.
Beacon Biosignals is an equal opportunity employer; we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.