Beacon Biosignals is seeking a Senior Backend Engineer to help us build out the TypeScript- and Julia-based services that power our Platform to accelerate precision medicine for millions of patients with severe neurological and psychiatric disease.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you'll work directly with the CTO and our Platform team to...
- ...establish a technical foundation for robust TypeScript-driven service development at Beacon.
- ...ensure a high-quality experience for data producers/consumers at Beacon and beyond.
- ...build critical systems that underpin core functionality of Beacon's products, including authentication flows, streaming DSP-as-a-service, analytics dashboarding, tabular data transformation, and more.
At Beacon, we believe a diverse team builds more robust systems and achieves higher impact. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply!
- You have substantial experience standing up new TypeScript-based projects and seeing them through the full lifecycle of service development from the early design-focused phases to mature reliability-focused phases.
- You're deeply tuned into the open source TypeScript ecosystem and relevant contemporary tools/practices.
- You've built and maintained GraphQL APIs, distributed systems, and ELT/ETL pipelines that have powered data-centric applications. You're familiar with the intersection of service lifecycles and data lifecycles, and the impact of schema evolution on API design.
- You're comfortable working in a highly asynchronous hybrid environment, and have demonstrated success doing so in the past.
- You've witnessed firsthand how fast a team can move when they're enabled by first-class CI/CD/tools, and how much friction poorly designed tools/systems can introduce into the development cycle.
- You're familiar with and/or are excited to work with the technologies that power Beacon's data systems, including GraphQL, PostGraphile, PostgreSQL, K8s, TypeScript, Express, Julia, Apache Arrow, Metabase, Terraform, and GitHub Actions.
Not sure if you meet 100% of our qualifications? There are numerous reports that systemically marginalized people (e.g. women) are less likely to apply for a job, but are more likely to be hired if they *do* apply. If you think you could thrive in this role, we encourage you to apply even if not every bullet perfectly describes you.
At Beacon, we've found that cultural and scientific impact is driven most by those that lead by example. As such, we're always seeking new contributors whose work demonstrates an avid curiosity, a bias towards simplicity, an eye for composability, a self-service mindset, and - most of all - a deep empathy towards colleagues, stakeholders, users, and patients.
Do any of the following resonate? If so, please reach out!
- You consider the inclusion of documentation and unit/integration tests to be table stakes for every contribution.
- You take architectural encapsulation and API design very seriously. For you, designing an API is akin to designing a domain-specific language that serves as the service's core interaction surface.
- You strive for excellence with regards to asynchronous communication and developer collaboration skills. You review PRs with attention to detail and empathy, you're a fan of pair programming, you write a lot (and with care), and you read even more than you write.
- You're keen on a data-centric development approach that avoids impedance-mismatched abstraction layers while composing well with external tools/systems. You have witnessed the damage that results from leaky abstractions.
Beacon Biosignals is an equal opportunity employer; we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.