We’re BCG Digital Ventures. Adventure awaits you.
We are an ever-growing global team of the world’s most remarkable entrepreneurs, designers, engineers, venture architects, product experts and investors. Our ventures create a strategic advantage for the most important global companies.
Alongside our corporate partner, BCG Digital Ventures is launching Pumpkin. Pumpkin is building the future of pet health care, creating a world where every Milo, Spot, Sweetie, Sugarbear - and Pumpkin - is entitled to the best care humanly possible, no matter their age, condition, or the cost. A world where families and vets work side-by-side to help all pets live their best lives today, tomorrow, and for all the adventures in between. Because pets are family, and their care should live up to the love and joy they bring us.
Pumpkin is uniquely positioned to disrupt the rapidly growing, multi-billion-dollar pet insurance and pet wellness industry. We’re building the most robust support system for pets and their owners in times of good health, illness and emergency. Through the application of cutting-edge technology, product advantages, deep market relationships and best in class distribution capabilities, Pumpkin provides the first truly pet-centric experience in the space.
We are looking for an exceptional Senior Backend Engineer who is passionate about scaling our tailored pet health plan and driving the product build of this disruptive startup.
In this role you will:
- Build, maintain and refine high performance, scalable systems, serving an essential function in all groundwork, infrastructure and product discussions from conception to completion
- Develop elegant solutions to complex problems
- Contribute to a future-ready, high quality and performant code base
- Share technical solutions and product ideas through design review, pair programming, code review and technology discussions
- Demonstrate and communicate a passion for designing product user interfaces that help drive rapid business growth
- Apply expertise in developing server less object-oriented software and building python-based applications and REST API services
- Develop service-based architecture and design persistence and caching models using SQL, No SQL, AWS RDS, Elasticsearch
- Implement Dev Ops best practices using tools like AWS CloudFormation, Gitlab CI and Docker
- Enforce minimum code coverage levels through automated testing
- Integrate with various tools/ technologies such as Mailchimp, Contentful, proprietary 3rd party API’s
- Leverage productivity tools in your everyday workflow including G suite, Slack, One login
You should have:
- 5+ years of experience building core Python applications and REST API services
- Experience mentoring junior software engineers on projects
- Ability to effectively manage vendor relationships
- Experience with the serverless framework or equivalent tooling
- Proven competencies in designing persistence and caching models using RDS Aurora or equivalent databases
- Experience with modern DevOps environments, we use AWS GitLab CI & Docker
- Effective time management abilities in order to move quickly and release small batches frequently
- A deep understanding of software engineering best practices such as unit testing, code reviews and design documentation
- Workflow flexibility and strong teamwork skills
- The ability to build scalable, high quality, distributed services
Additional desired competencies:
- Knowledge of virtualization technologies (e.g.: Docker, Vagrant, etc.)
- Entrepreneurial / Startup Experience
- Data Engineering
- Exposure to Machine Learning libraries like Sci-kit Learn, Pandas, NumPy, Tensorflow
To learn more, visit us at bcgdv.com
Interested applicants may apply through the careers section of the website at https://www.bcgdv.com/. Interviews will take place after resumes have been screened for minimum requirements. Please note that this position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above and that the job scope and responsibilities are subject to change.
BCG Digital Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law.