What is Baton?
Baton is the Silicon Valley based technology innovation lab for Ryder, a Fortune 500 logistics company that owns 260k trucks and manages $7.4B of freight. In September of 2022 Ryder acquired Baton to be their technology innovation lab. Prior to Ryder, Baton was a venture backed start up that was voted the #4 most disruptive company in freight (Amazon was #3)!
The problem we’re solving
Our mission is to eliminate waste in supply chain by creating a digital platform that uses AI to improve how freight is planned. There are 500 million hours wasted in trucking each year, over 3 billion gallons of fuel wasted per year from trucks idling, and 1 in 5 trucks on the road driving empty at any given point. This has a massive impact on the environment, the lives of millions of drivers, and ultimately, the cost of transportation that we all pay.
Software Engineer - Infrastructure
Hayes Valley, San Francisco, CA
- Contribute to our near real time data streaming and analytics platform -- from building our data streaming pipelines up to designing new data models, you’ll be the go-to person when adding new features.
- Design the data streaming and messaging architecture, and own the data landscape, including near real-time data ingestion, processing, and data consumption.
- Work closely with data stakeholders to distill complex data problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Invent and tinker. Imagine completely new ideas, experiment, and build transformative solutions for the freight industry.
- 2+ years experience in software development
- Infrastructure development experience with big data infrastructure such as Databricks, Kafka, Spark, etc
- Comprehensive knowledge of modern big data
Nice to have
- Interest in the freight and logistics space
- Strong data analytics background
- Prefer experience with Python or Go/Golang
- Competitive salary and bonus structure
- Hybrid work schedule
- 401k with matching
- Medical, Dental, and Vision health coverage
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Collaborative, fun, and tech forward office in Hayes Valley (San Francisco)
Tags:* Python, Golang, AWS, Python, Kafka, Databricks, Spark, Big Data*
Why you should join
- Have immediate impact
- With Ryder’s existing customer base of 50,000+ companies and an internal headcount of 43,000 the scale and impact of our products will be large and far reaching, from day one.
- Opportunity to grow and lead in a fortune 500 company
- We are primed to rapidly grow our team size in the next 12-18 months in efforts to build innovative products to help propel the transportation industry into the future.
- You’ll get to work in a high paced, startup-like environment, while having the stability and backing of Ryder and their full executive team.
- Creative, fast paced environment to solve impactful problems in supply chain
- Our team isn’t afraid to do what it takes to get the job done - whether that’s hacking something together to quickly test a prototype, hanging out at a warehouse all day to make sure we understand exactly what needs to be built, or designing and deploying innovative technology based solutions.
- We’re going to design completely new tools for an industry that hasn’t been rethought in decades. And to do this we need people who think differently.