WHO ARE WE?
The Tax team is responsible for all things corporate tax at BARK! This includes GAAP tax accounting and compliance with income/sales/property tax in the US and beyond. We are driven, dog-loving tax enthusiasts who work closely with the accounting team and partner with all areas of the business to ensure we do things the right way to keep our pups’ tails wagging and out of the doghouse. We’re a collaborative team obsessed with having fun, solving problems, and making dogs happy!
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
The ideal candidate has strong attention to detail, desire to learn, and successfully balances multiple priorities. This candidate has strong time management skills and has a proven record of success working in a fast-paced, evolving environment. The candidate is a team player, always willing to roll up their sleeves and provide assistance to the finance team.
- Prepare quarterly tax provisions in accordance with GAAP.
- Prepare sales and use, GST, VAT filings and related monthly account reconciliations. Assist with new registrations as needed.
- Prepare OH CAT, NYC CRT, personal property, and other tax filings.
- Assist with investigating and resolving any tax authority notifications, domestic and international.
- Review tax depreciation of fixed assets in NetSuite.
- Support all federal and state income tax filings as needed and ensure timely filing and payment of all estimates/extensions and returns.
- Participate in the review of non-U.S. income tax filings.
- Assist with developing processes to calculate and reconcile deferred tax assets and liabilities.
- Maintain controls to ensure the Company's tax liabilities and financial statements are accurate and in compliance with local and state laws as well as GAAP.
- Participate in continuous process improvements and integration of various aspects of the tax function to achieve optimal efficiency, effective controls, and quality.
- Monitor new and changing tax legislation and participate in continuing professional educational opportunities.
- Assist with ad hoc projects, as needed.
- 3-5 years tax experience
- Experience with quarterly & annual tax provision process
- Experience with preparing and filing US sales tax returns
- Experience working with NetSuite and Avalara a plus
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: BS accounting required.
- MSA/MST preferred.
- CPA a plus.
- Proficient tax research and writing skills.
- Strong accounting and analytical skills
- Strong computer skills: proficiency in Tax software, Excel and Word
- Excellent interpersonal, communication skills
- Detail oriented and ability to multitask.
This position is a full-time, salaried position. It is a hybrid remote/in-person, located on-site at our office in New York. We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, cold brew on tap, and a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Here at BARK, we love dogs and their people. We’re looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (we’re not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs and their people through our products, events, and experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, and our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats and clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys and treats to the dogs across the world and use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives and ways to make magic between dogs and their people. We’ve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.