BallotReady is searching for several Contract Researchers to join our team in bringing an unparalleled database on U.S. government to voters and constituents nationwide.
Who We Are
BallotReady is an award-winning startup working to help every voter in America cast an informed vote on every race, every election. We create digital nonpartisan voter guides and build tools to help advocacy groups and campaigns inform and mobilize voters and constituents, powered by the most comprehensive database on every level of government.
We’ve worked with organizations such as Snapchat, Tiktok, Spotify, and the Miami Heat to inform and turn out over 35 million voters. Now, we’re focused on upcoming elections across the country and innovative methods for empowering communities to hold elected officials accountable and take effective action year-round.
What You’ll Do
The Contract Researchers, who can be based anywhere in the U.S., are responsible for researching topics such as, but not limited to, the following:
- Elections that can range from the national level to the local special district level (e.g., the Illinois Metropolitan Water Reclamation District)
- Candidates for selected elections (e.g., experience, qualifications, incumbent status, issue stances)
- Elected positions (e.g., What are the roles and responsibilities of the Bergen County Clerk? Am I eligible to run for this position? How would I run for this position?)
- Current office holders (e.g., years in office)
Who You Are
To succeed in this job, you must bring:
- Attention to detail—our work relies on the accuracy of your research!
- Excellent time management and personal organization that allows you to meet deadlines
- Skill in communicating clearly and proactively as needed (e.g., if you are unsure about something or need an extension)
- Comfort navigating ambiguity (e.g., if finding the details about a local office requires you to go down a rabbit hole of creative research methods, which is not unheard of, you’re ready and able to dive in)
What Else You Should Know
At BallotReady, we’re strong believers in flexibility in exchange for responsibility. We hire exceptional people who are excited about our mission, and give them the freedom and leadership to act in support of constituents first. Our work is driven by our core values, which we encourage interested applicants to explore.
BallotReady is an equal opportunity employer and we value having staff who reflect the diversity of all constituents and voters. We especially encourage people of color, LGBTQIA+ people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities to apply for this role. We know that the more we live out our commitment to building a diverse and inclusive team, the better our work will be.
Pay Rate: $15/hour*
- You must be able to commit to approximately 15-20 hours per week
- You must have your own computer, internet access, and phone (calling counties across the country to obtain data is a big part of the job)
- Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis
- Since this is a contract role, there are no employment benefits (e.g., health insurance, paid time off)
*please note that BallotReady does not negotiate salary as part of our commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion