Who We Are
Babylist is the leading digital destination for growing families. For over a decade, Babylist has been the technology solution for expecting parents and the community that supports them, expanding from baby registry into a full-service platform that helps parents make decisions with confidence, stay connected and build happy and healthy families. Every year Babylist helps over 9M people make purchases through its registry, app, ecommerce shop and comprehensive product guides. The Babylist ecosystem now includes Babylist Health, which provides access to products and services including insurance-covered breast pumps, Expectul, a new voice in health and wellness for pre-pregnancy through postpartum care, and The Push, a branded content studio that works with the biggest companies in the baby space. With over 59M monthly pageviews and 1.2M TikTok followers, Babylist is a generational brand leading the $88 billion baby product industry. To learn more about Babylist’s registry options, editorial content and more, visit www.babylist.com
Our Ways of Working
We have team members located across the United States spanning multiple time zones. This means we put in extra effort to make sure we connect and collaborate in ways that make sense for us. We know how valuable the flexibility of remote work is for our employees.
We know that personal connection is the foundation for the great work we do together. In order to build those relationships with team members in other cities, we meet with coworkers in person two times a year at a full company offsite and a departmental offsite. These offsites are expected of employees and are great opportunities to meet the people you work with every day and to do some of the work that is much more difficult to do virtually.
In addition, this role will require periodic travel to our Emeryville, CA (San Francisco Bay Area) headquarters for leadership meetings, approximately once a quarter.
What the Role Is
Babylist is seeking our first Head of Legal l to help the company navigate the many legal opportunities and challenges as we mature and scale. Reporting to the CFO, you will serve as a strategic partner, providing counsel and support to the executive leadership team and board to help navigate the legal landscape in a dynamic maturing startup environment. You will develop and build the systems, processes and procedures that will shape our legal team going forward. You will partner across the business to set and execute the Babylist legal strategy across legal and regulatory matters which may include commercial/corporate contracts, IP, data privacy, employment, financing, etc. This role will also be the primary interface to outside counsel and further develop and manage those relationships
Who You Are
- 10+ years of overall professional working experience, with at least 5 years at a reputable law firm and 3+ years in house directly advising senior leadership clients on complex corporate, commercial, business, and transactional matters.
- Admitted to the CA state bar or can waive into CA as Registered In-House Counsel
- In-depth knowledge of several of the following areas (with proficiency in all): corporate, intellectual property, commercial/contract, public company governance/reporting, capital raising, M&A, litigation, IP and data privacy.
- Strong business acumen and the ability to provide practical, strategic legal advice aligned with business objectives
- Excellent problem solving, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with teams across the company
How You Will Make An Impact
- Develop and implement the company's overall legal strategy, aligning it with our business objectives and growth plans. Identify potential legal risks and provide proactive guidance to mitigate them effectively.
- Provide legal partnership, guidance, and proactive risk reduction strategies to our Executive leaders. This includes providing legal guidance to address transformational and day to day business matters such as commercial contracts, IP, employee matters, regulatory analysis, etc.
- Provide thought leadership and input on major transformational initiatives or investment areas including fundraising,, M&A, international entities , etc.
- Develop form contracts for use by various business units, and manage the ongoing review, drafting and negotiation of a wide variety of contracts, including client agreements, vendor contracts, and partnerships/influencer agreements. Ensure contracts are aligned with the company's goals and protect its legal and financial interests.
- Oversee the protection of the company's intellectual property assets, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. Collaborate with internal stakeholders to identify and safeguard valuable IP rights.
- Create a legal department to meet the needs of the business and develop effective and replicable legal management systems, processes and procedures. This includes designing the ideal structure, and hiring, retaining and developing legal talent
- Maintain efficient and effective relationships with outside counsel on litigation and other specialized matters
Why You Will Love Working At Babylist
- We invest in the infrastructure you’ll need to be supported and successful: tools, opportunities to connect with colleagues, and a stipend to help you set up your office
- We build products that have a positive impact on millions of people’s lives
- We work at a sustainable pace which means work/life balance is a real thing here
- We believe technology and data can solve hard problems
- We believe in exceptional management
- We are an antiracist organization and doing the work to support differences of all kinds
- We offer competitive pay and meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We have great benefits like company paid medical, dental, and vision, a generous paid parental leave policy, and 401k with company match
- We care about employee wellbeing with perks for physical, mental and emotional health, parenting, childcare, and financial planning
Babylist takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. Your actual base salary will depend on factors such as your skills, qualifications, experience, and work location.
The estimated pay range for this role is $186,000.00- $279,000.00
In addition, Babylist offers equity, bonus, and benefits, including company paid health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) matching, flexible spending account, and paid leave (including PTO and parental leave) in accordance with our applicable plans and policies.
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.