Inventory Senior Accountant
Babylist is looking for an Inventory Senior Accountant to join our growing finance & accounting team. As the Inventory Senior Accountant at Babylist, you will report directly to the Accounting Manager and assist with monthly close activities related to inventory accounting and other aspects of operational accounting including compliance with the annual financial statement audit and quarterly reviews.
The successful candidate will be detailed and deadline-oriented, operational, and can be highly successful in a fast-paced and collaborative startup environment. We are looking for a bright and curious Inventory Senior Accountant with demonstrable start-up and retail experience. NetSuite experience is a plus!
What You’ll Do
GL Accounting & Financial Reporting
- Oversight of inventory at multiple locations ensuring accurate and timely valuation and completion of transactional activities
- Perform month-end inventory reconciliations to the warehouse management system reports and create necessary journal entries
- Assist in the evaluation and implementation of costing methods that promote efficiency and effectiveness of the costing of inventory and cost of sales, as well as internal control structure, processes and monitoring.
- Analyze aging reports and review turnover of inventory/in-process materials for possible impairment and calculate any necessary reserves
- Review operational expenses such as freight, material cost, labor, and supplies and ensure proper accounting.
- Analyze inventory in-transit transactions and investigate delays to ensure timely recording of transactions
- Assist with internal and external inventory audits as they pertain to inventory accounting.
- Help develop and then ensure inventory policies are clearly defined and consistently implemented.
- Participate in process improvements to streamline the monthly financial close process.
- Support the FP&A team with annual planning and quarterly forecasting data requests
- Perform ad hoc analyses to aid in data-driven decision-making across the team
- Work effectively with cross functional business partners, including Finance, Merchandising & Inventory Management, Supply Chain, FP&A, Accounts Payable, Engineering, Product, IT and other teams
- Play a key role in preparation for our annual financial statement audit including process documentation and recommendations
- Help manage the audit by providing audit requests and preparation of certain inventory related schedules within the financial statements
- Supporting the Accounting Manager in monitoring, enforcing, and when appropriate, establishing policies and procedures necessary for mitigating risk, enhancing the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensuring that reported results comply with US GAAP
Who You Are
- You’re curious about answering the WHY
- Demonstrate interest in consumer goods; direct-to-consumer & retail
- Technical understanding of US GAAP with the ability to summarize proper accounting treatment and be able to document these conclusions
- Consistently demonstrates a high degree of accuracy
- You know when to communicate statuses/bring up issues that you may find in a prompt manner with your Manager
- You can communicate complex insights in an easy-to-understand way for a wide range of audiences
- You're self-directed, proactive and able to define and execute projects independently
- You have strong business acumen, and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Your organizational skills allow you to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work cross functionally with other departments
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and dynamic high growth environment where change is constant
What You’ve Done
- BA/BS/Master’s in Accounting or equivalent work experience; CPA license a plus
- Minimum of 3 years of accounting/finance experience
- Experience with inventory cost accounting is a must
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, including pivot tables, sumifs, v-lookup, and index formulas
- Experience in the retail/e-commerce industry is a plus
- Experience with NetSuite
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- We get stuff done
- We have a real impact on people’s lives
- We're passionate about our users and we genuinely appreciate them
- We work at a sustainable pace for long-term success (yes, we’re profitable)
- We are growing and have meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We’re a technological and data-driven business
- We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
- We have experienced leadership that is always open to new ideas
- Competitive pay
- Competitive health benefits including company-funded medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k), FSA plans, and disability insurance
- Flexible, paid parental leave policy
- Flexibility to work from home and prioritize home life as we navigate the impacts of COVID-19
- Easy access to BART and commuter assistance (when we return to the office)
- We work at a sustainable pace; in general we don't work late or on weekends, and most employees WFH on Wednesdays