Lead Machine Learning Engineer: Recommendation, Ranking & Personalization
About the Role
As a Lead ML Engineer/Data Scientist at Babylist, you’ll redefine how millions of users search and discover the products they will love as they prepare for one of life’s biggest events. You will partner with Data Scientists, Product Managers and Engineers to understand users needs and improve search and discovery.
What you'll do
- You will be responsible for building and owning the next generation of product and content recommendation and other algorithms/systems that will make the experience for our millions of Babylist users personalized and unique.
- Be a Search and Recommendation Champion: you have prowess and past experience in a multitude of recommendation technologies, empowering you to understand the challenges of making discovery better continuously by hypothesis, modeling, and experimentation.
- Be a technical leader within Babylist.
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product managers, and designers to build best-in-class ML powered search, ranking, and recommender systems.
- Mentor and collaborate closely with other engineers and become a valued member of a diverse and autonomous team.
- Continuously improve our product by innovating on the service through the usage of A/B tests.
What You've Done
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in computer science, engineering, mathematics, machine learning, (computational) physics or statistics.
- You must be fluent in Python & SQL. Knowing Java/Scala is a plus.
- Strong mathematical, statistical methods analytical skills
- Experience working with ML frameworks like TensorFlow, XGBoost, Scikit-learn, Amazon SageMaker, or Google Cloud ML.
- 3+ years of experience end-to-end model building using algos like SVM, DNN, Random forest etc. and deployment experience
- You have at least 8+ years of professional experience working in a product-driven environment, out of which 3+ years are in one or more of the following: recommendation systems, ranking systems, Natural Language Processing, text understanding, classification, pattern recognition, targeting systems, or similar.
- Experience with training systems based on large scale implicit user behavior including handling feedback loops.
- Experience working with big data & distributed systems and computing tools like S3, Hive, MapReduce, and Spark
- You stay up to date with machine learning publications and regularly attend conferences like RECSYS, UMAP, SIGIR, WSDM, WWW, etc.
- You care about agile software processes, data-driven development, reliability, and responsible experimentation.
- Experience mentoring and growing collaborative teams.
At Babylist, we help expecting parents get exactly what they need for the arrival of their new baby. Founded in 2011, Babylist is a popular baby registry in the US. We serve millions of families every year to help them make the journey to parenthood less overwhelming and more fun. Families can add any item from any store, including products Babylist directly sells, to their registry, alongside meaningful gifts like babysitting and meals they can’t buy in stores. We have built a trust with parents all throughout the U.S. as their go to partner in planning for their new baby. Each month, millions of gifts are given from the platform by 700k+ loved ones.
The baby retail market is underserved and Babylist is well positioned to be the single iconic and trusted brand that helps new families through this monumental life stage. In the US alone, 4 million babies are born every year and we have over 1.5 million new families signing up to create a baby registry yearly. And with robust data analytics and business insights behind our core registry product, Babylist has seen 100% growth over the past 4 years. We have sustained profitability and are ready to grow the business.
Babylist’s headquarters are in Oakland, CA.
Why You Will Love Working at Babylist:
- We have a real impact on people’s lives
- We're passionate about our users and we genuinely appreciate them
- We work at a sustainable pace for long-term success (yes, we’re profitable)
- We are growing and have meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We’re a best-in-class technology and data-driven business
- We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
- We have smart, experienced leadership that is always open to new ideas
- Competitive pay
- 401(k), FSA plans and disability insurance
- Flexible, fully paid parental leave policy
- We work at a sustainable pace. In general we don’t work late or on weekends and most employees WFH every Wednesday
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.