About the Role
Babylist is looking for a Staff Accountant to join our growing finance & accounting team. As the Staff Accountant at Babylist, you will report directly to the Accounting Manager and assist with monthly close activities and other aspects of operational accounting including compliance with the annual financial statement audit. The successful candidate will be detailed and deadline-oriented, operational, and can be highly successful in a fast-paced and collaborative startup environment. We are looking for a bright and curious Staff Accountant with demonstrable start-up and retail experience. NetSuite experience is a must!
What You’ll Do
GL Accounting & Financial Reporting
- Own the preparation of journal entries and certain balance sheet reconciliations as a key participant in the financial close process
- Specifically bank reconciliation
- Areas of ownership will rotate over time and may include additional duties such as: cash, revenue operations, operating expenses, accrual accounting, fixed assets, accounts receivable, inventory, cash, prepaid expenses or other financial reporting needs.
- Review general ledger coding to ensure expenses are accurately recorded by account and department in the correct accounting period
- Participate in process improvements to streamline the monthly financial close process.
- Perform ad hoc analyses to aid in data-driven decision-making across the team
- Work effectively with cross functional business partners, including Finance, HR, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Engineering, Product, IT and other teams
- Play a key role in preparation for our annual financial statement audit including process documentation and recommendations
- Help manage the audit by providing audit requests and preparation of certain schedules within the financial statements
- Document and monitor internal controls as part of operational accounting work.
- Supporting the Accounting Manager in monitoring, enforcing, and when appropriate, establishing policies and procedures necessary for mitigating risk, enhancing the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensuring that reported results comply with US GAAP
Who You Are
- You’re curious about answering the WHY
- Demonstrate interest in consumer goods; direct-to-consumer & retail
- Technical understanding of US GAAP with the ability to summarize proper accounting treatment and be able to document these conclusions
- Consistently demonstrates a high degree of accuracy
- You know when to communicate statuses/bring up issues that you may find in a prompt manner with your Manager
- You can communicate complex insights in an easy-to-understand way for a wide range of audiences
- You're self-directed, proactive and able to define and execute projects independently
- You have strong business acumen, and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Your organizational skills allow you to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work cross functionally with other departments
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and dynamic high growth environment where change is constant
What You’ve Done
- BA/BS/Master’s in Accounting or equivalent work experience; CPA license a plus
- Minimum of 2 years of accounting/finance experience
- Experience in public accounting is a plus
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, including pivot tables, sumifs, v-lookup, and index formulas
- Experience in the retail/e-commerce industry is a plus
- Experience with NetSuite
- Strong organizational and communication skills
At Babylist, we help expecting parents get exactly what they need for the arrival of their new baby. Founded in 2011, Babylist is a popular baby registry in the US. We serve millions of families every year to help them make the journey to parenthood less overwhelming and more fun. Families can add any item from any store, including products Babylist directly sells, to their registry, alongside meaningful gifts like babysitting and meals they can’t buy in stores. We have built a trust with parents all throughout the U.S. as their go to partner in planning for their new baby. Each month, millions of gifts are given from the platform by 700k+ loved ones.
The baby retail market is underserved and Babylist is well positioned to be the single iconic and trusted brand that helps new families through this monumental life stage. In the US alone, 4 million babies are born every year and we have over 1.5 million new families signing up to create a baby registry yearly. And with robust data analytics and business insights behind our core registry product, Babylist has seen 100% growth over the past 4 years. We have sustained profitability and are ready to grow the business.
Babylist’s headquarters are in Oakland, CA.
Why You Will Love Working at Babylist:
- We have a real impact on people’s lives
- We're passionate about our users and we genuinely appreciate them
- We work at a sustainable pace for long-term success (yes, we’re profitable)
- We are growing and have meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We’re a best-in-class technology and data-driven business
- We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
- We have smart, experienced leadership that is always open to new ideas
- Competitive pay
- 401(k), FSA plans and disability insurance
- Flexible, fully paid parental leave policy
- We work at a sustainable pace. In general we don’t work late or on weekends and most employees WFH every Wednesday
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.