Buyer, Baby Gear
Babylist is hiring a Buyer to become a part of our growing e-commerce team. In this role, you will create and develop business strategies and assortment plans that align with the goals of the overall division and business. You will identify opportunities to grow the business while maximizing profitability and efficiency as we scale. You will lead cross-functional communication, working closely with Inventory Management, Operations, Site Merchandising, Marketing, Content, Data and Product teams. This position may manage direct reports. We are excited about you because you are an analytical thinker, passionate about product and thrive in a fast paced and ever-evolving environment.
What you’ll do
- Support the strategic business vision for the Gear & Furniture division and set strategies for growth in your defined area of ownership
- Own the strategy building, assortment building, product development (where applicable), assortment planning and promotional initiatives for your departments & categories
- Partner with Planning on in-season inventory management across all fulfillment channels as well as pre-season financial plans and forecasts by category and brand
- Lead profitability maximization initiatives across all areas of the P&L in collaboration with the Planning and Operations teams
- Own the relationship with top tier suppliers and partner with them on new product selection, negotiating product costs, exclusivity arrangements, coop partnerships, and promotional support
- Manage the assortment for your categories including pricing changes, promotional decisions, product updates, phase outs and the corresponding communication to all cross functional partners
- Analyze and report on weekly/monthly/quarterly category performance; identify and communicate opportunities and risks
- Spot emerging and declining trends through competitive research, Babylist data, vendor relationships, and market research
- In collaboration with site merchandising, drive online product presentation and discoverability through site experience and curation
- Travel to market (when safe to do so) and lead business planning conversations with existing and prospective suppliers
Who You Are
- You have a Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of 5-7 years of experience in a retail buying or merchandising role, ecommerce preferred
- You have strong excel and analytical skills and can interpret meaningful themes from quantitative data.
- You have extensive experience with inventory planning concepts, retail math, and best practices.
- You are excited by consumer products, innovation, trends, and merchandising.
- You are flexible and can adapt to changing priorities. You are able to find efficiencies and improvements to make existing processes more successful.
- You take pride in your work, follow through to completion, and care about delivering high levels of accuracy.
- You have strong communication skills and can work effectively with the entire team including product, design, editorial, customer service, and logistics.
- You’re a team player with an ability to work collaboratively
- You have a passion for start-ups and e-commerce. You can be scrappy and are comfortable wearing many hats.
At Babylist, we help expecting parents get exactly what they need for the arrival of their new baby. Founded in 2011, Babylist is a popular baby registry in the US. We serve millions of families every year to help them make the journey to parenthood less overwhelming and more fun. Families can add any item from any store, including products Babylist directly sells, to their registry, alongside meaningful gifts like babysitting and meals they can’t buy in stores. We have built a trust with parents all throughout the U.S. as their go to partner in planning for their new baby. Each month, millions of gifts are given from the platform by 700k+ loved ones.
The baby retail market is underserved and Babylist is well positioned to be the single iconic and trusted brand that helps new families through this monumental life stage. In the US alone, 4 million babies are born every year and we have over 1.5 million new families signing up to create a baby registry yearly. And with robust data analytics and business insights behind our core registry product, Babylist has seen 100% growth over the past 4 years. We have sustained profitability and are ready to grow the business.
Babylist’s headquarters are in Oakland, CA.
Why You Will Love Working at Babylist:
- We have a real impact on people’s lives
- We're passionate about our users and we genuinely appreciate them
- We work at a sustainable pace for long-term success (yes, we’re profitable)
- We are growing and have meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We’re a best-in-class technology and data-driven business
- We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
- We have smart, experienced leadership that is always open to new ideas
- Competitive pay
- 401(k), FSA plans and disability insurance
- Flexible, fully paid parental leave policy
- We work at a sustainable pace. In general we don’t work late or on weekends and most employees WFH every Wednesday
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.