We are looking for an experienced User Research Lead (full-time) to start immediately in our awesome Lower East Side offices in New York City.
Who we are
Babbel is transforming language-learning for the digital age. With millions of regular users and more than 9,000 hours of premium content, Babbel’s products are available worldwide across multiple platforms. Now, we’re about to embark on an exciting new journey to change the way people learn languages globally. Headquartered in Berlin, Germany, Babbel is also present in the United States, with a growing presence in New York.
Who are we looking for
We are looking to hire an experienced User Research Lead to start and grow a User Research team from our New York City office. At the start, you will conduct original research, and grow to over time oversee multiple complex user research projects. Acting as a player-coach, you will build out and manage a small team in NY who will manage user research globally.
Responsibilities for the role:
- Conduct usability research and other one-on-one in-person and remote interviews.
- Hire and provide mentorship and guidance for a new team of User Researchers in our NYC office.
- Engage freelancers and research firms as needed to collect data and augment our capabilities.
- Lead user research projects through all phases, using a variety of a quantitative and qualitative research methods like user testing studies, interviews and surveys.
- Collaborate closely with Product, Marketing and other key business stakeholders to define strategic (discovery, insights or validation) plans based on the needs of the teams.
- Continuously improve user research processes, knowledge and tools to measurably enhance productivity and product quality.
- Take responsibility for the coordination, planning, prioritization and execution of user research projects.
- Provide the insights we need to improve our products and marketing.
What do we expect from you:
- Bachelor's degree in Human-Computer interaction, Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology or related field as a minimum, ideally also holding a Master's degree or PhD.
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and verbal. A second language would be advantageous.
- Great people skills, with the ability to mentor, coach, delegate and prioritize where required.
- A minimum of 2 years' experience conducting user research in a product, marketing or design organisation.
- Strong skills in both quantitative and qualitative research methodologies.
- Demonstrable knowledge in usability testing, customer interviews, ethnographic observation and other relevant methods of qualitative research; experience with cutting-edge research techniques.
- Proven track record in running research projects throughout all phases, as well as coordinating research projects with freelancers, agencies and other third parties.
- Ability to synthesize and communicate results clearly.
- Results orientation with a strong sense of ownership for the success of the team.
- No-nonsense attitude; resourcefulness to get things done in a startup environment.
- A clear passion for education, languages and technology.