We are looking for a web designer/developer to work with our team. The web designer’s primary contributions will be to:
- Read and interpret customer briefs. Our current customers are small and medium-sized businesses ranging from cafés to real estate investment firms.
- Given a new customer's content and preferences, as well as a website that has been automatically generated for the customer, use our Design Suite (a largely WYSIWYG website editor with support for custom HTML5/CSS overrides) to put an initial website together for the customer in 1-2 hours.
- Complete enhancement requests for existing customer websites, ranging from small changes to more complex customizations or design improvements.
- As a fast-growing platform, there will be adjacent opportunities as reviewers and mentors for the right candidates who wish to grow with us.
In our experience with past customers, designers spend single-digit numbers hours on each project, with iterative feedback from our team. You might intersperse multiple customers’ project delivery while waiting on design feedback from the customer and our design lead.
In addition to doing customer delivery work, you will be helping us co-design our Design Suite, as well as a workflow management tool called Orchestra. We have open sourced Orchestra, and are building it to empower creative and analytical experts in their work.
You’d be a good fit if:
- We are open to remote or local NYC web designers
- You have excellent written English skills
- You have 3-7 years of web design experience and are excited to do customer-focused website deliver
- You have 1-2 years of HTML/CSS experience
- You are available ~ 10 hours a week
- You are comfortable turning unstructured customer content and requests into into pixel-perfect web designs that work on all devices
- You have experience working on customer-focused web design teams
- You are excited to receive feedback from a customer success manager or an art director, and are equally excited to push back on design decisions you disagree with
- You have desktop and mobile web design experience
- You are happy to work on a customer deliverable for a few hours at a time, and then move on to a different customer's deliverable
- You have some sample designs you can share with us so that we can evaluate your work
- You are excited to learn our Design Suite
- Get paid for your expertise, we value the skills you bring as a designer.
- Grow within our community - join other designers in our network (we actively use Slack) and get feedback to help you grow.
- Shape the future of work - we highly value your input and working together we hope to design tools to change the way we work.
- We don't have a minimum number of years of experience for this role. We highly favor talent and interest.
- Some candidates may see this list and feel discouraged because they don’t match all the items. Please apply anyway: there’s a good chance you’re more wonderful than you think you are.
- B12 is a safe place for human beings. We particularly encourage you to apply if you identify as a woman, are a person of color or other underrepresented minority, or are a member of the LGBTQ community.
The workplace is undergoing rapid transformation, and B12 is on a mission to help people accomplish more at work. Orchestra, the engine behind B12’s Human-assisted A.I. model, is currently used to help teams of expert designers build and manage beautiful and professional websites. Leveraging A.I. to streamline complex workflows, B12 delivers superior outcomes for both creative experts and customers who receive a high-touch experience and a self-optimizing website in days, not weeks. Using intelligent software to automate repetitive tasks, B12 allows people to leverage their expertise where it matters most, paving the way to greater craftsmanship, superhuman productivity, and a brighter future of work. Backed by one of the best human-machine teams in the world, B12 recently closed its $12.4M Series A round led by General Catalyst Partners, Breyer Capital, Founder Collective, SV Angel, and more.
To apply, please provide:
- A pointer to your CV, resume, LinkedIn profile, or any other summary of your career so far.
- Some informal text introducing yourself and what you are excited about.
- If you have a profile on websites like GitHub or other repositories of open source software, you can provide that as well. If you don’t have one, it’s still very possible for us to get along just fine!
In writing this job description, we got inspiration from job descriptions at companies like Stripe, Rent the Runway, Keybase, and Dropbox.