Product is core to how we are improving the future of work at B12. We are bringing on a product designer to help us design delightful products for our clients and experts. To do this, you will collaborate closely with our engineers, designers and product managers utilizing your full range of skills in product design, user experience design, interaction design, visual design, information architecture, and user research. If you are passionate about designing beautiful products, we would love to hear from you!
As a product designer, you will
- Translate complex user needs into simple and easy-to-use product designs,
- Engage in user research and data collection to test and iterate on design concepts,
- Work with engineers, product managers, and fellow designers to take products and features from initial conception and wireframes to launch,
- Bring beautiful design across B12’s products and digital identity by polishing our designs until they are pixel-perfect, and
- The ability to shape our product strategy and vision by helping us focus on what we are building and why we are building it
- Mentor and attract design talent to the broader B12 expert community.
You’d be a good fit if
- You have 2-15 years of experience designing products,
- You are an amazing communicator,
- You have a strong aesthetic sense,
- You feel comfortable managing your time and deciding amongst competing priorities,
- You are passionate about the future of work,
- You enjoy learning and teaching, and
- You have experience designing for many types of devices (web, iOS, Android).
- We don't have a required minimum number of years of experience for this role. We highly favor talent and interest.
- Some candidates may see this list and feel discouraged because they don’t match all the items. Please apply anyway: there’s a good chance you’re more wonderful than you think you are.
- B12 is a safe place for human beings. We particularly encourage you to apply if you identify as a woman, are a person of color or other underrepresented minority, or are a member of the LGBTQ community.
Design at B12
At B12, we view design as a craft, but improving the world as the reason to practice it. Our designers are responsible for prioritizing, conceptualizing, co-designing, prototyping, testing, and engaging users for any concept we are building out.
We’re generalists in encouraging each other to experience the full design process, including planning / prioritization, requirements gathering, user research, user experience design, interaction design, and visual design, but we’re also aware of each other’s preferences in the process. We mentor and teach where we can, both inside and outside of the company.
This is a unique opportunity to not only impact the design team of a single company, but to also empower a community of expert freelancers to design thousands of websites. Fun and challenging design work await!
We value sharing our work with the outside world. Our team has published papers on forming expert flash teams and machine-mediated worker hierarchies. We’ve baked our research into Orchestra, the system that coordinates our expert and machine teams, and released Orchestra into open source to contribute our software back to the community.
How to apply
- A pointer to your CV, resume, LinkedIn profile, or any other summary of your career so far.
- Some informal text introducing yourself and what you are excited about.
- If you have an online portfolio, you can provide that as well. If you don’t have one, it’s still very possible for us to get along just fine!