Software Engineering at B12
B12's engineering team views software as a craft, but improving the world as the reason to practice it. Our engineers are responsible for prioritizing, conceptualizing, co-designing, building, testing, and engaging users for any concept we are building out. We’re generalists in encouraging each other to experience the full stack, but we’re also aware of each other’s preferences in the stack. We mentor and teach where we can, both inside and outside of the company.
We value sharing our work with the outside world. Our team has published papers on forming expert flash teams and machine-mediated worker hierarchies. We’ve baked our research into Orchestra, the system that coordinates our expert and machine teams, and released Orchestra into open source to contribute our software back to the community.
We hope our engineers have more longevity than any one tool we use, but here is a sampling of our current thoughts about technology
- We store blobs in Amazon’s S3, munch on them in Amazon’s EC2, develop in Docker, and deploy containers to Amazon’s Elastic Beanstalk.
- We believe Postgres should be the first system you consider when you think about persisting structured data.
- We have near-full test coverage on the backend, and are embarrassed about our frontend and integration tests.
- We set up continuous integration and deployment because, while this model comes with its own pains, we’ve disliked being on fixed release schedules on previous projects.
- We like to move fast and support point-in-time recovery :).
You’d be a good fit if
- You have between 0 and 100 years of experience building products and systems in production.
- You are an amazing communicator.
- You feel comfortable managing your time and deciding amongst competing priorities.
- You are passionate about the future of work.
- You enjoy learning and teaching.
- You have some mobile experience.
- Don’t fear
- We don't have a minimum number of years of experience for this role. We highly favor talent and interest.
- Some candidates may see this list and feel discouraged because they don’t match all the items. Please apply anyway: there’s a good chance you’re more wonderful than you think you are.
- B12 is a safe place for human beings. We particularly encourage you to apply if you identify as a woman, are a person of color or other underrepresented minority, or are a member of the LGBTQ community.
How to apply
- A pointer to your CV, resume, LinkedIn profile, or any other summary of your career so far.
- Some informal text introducing yourself and what you are excited about.
- If you have a profile on websites like GitHub or other repositories of open source software, you can provide that as well. If you don’t have one, it’s still very possible for us to get along just fine!
In writing this job description, we got inspiration from job descriptions at companies like Stripe, Rent the Runway, Keybase, and Dropbox.