Azlo is a new fintech company that helps business owners, entrepreneurs, and freelancers pay, get paid, and manage their money. Backed by BBVA, we’re on a mission to transform small business banking.
We’re looking for a Director of Fraud Policy to oversee our approach to mitigating transactional risk and fraud across product, data, and operational teams, ensuring the company is appropriately balancing growth and experimentation with potential losses.
What you’ll do
- Oversee fraud prevention strategy for Azlo’s next phase of growth, appropriately balancing growth targets with the need to avoid undue financial loss.
- Implement new procedures and policies to streamline operations with banking partner.
- Aggressively pursue the development of an enterprise-wide risk and fraud management framework from scratch.
- Bring best-in-class approaches and techniques to effectively identify, mitigate, and minimize fraud loss.
- Set hypotheses around how to achieve fraud prevention targets, and work with product, operations, and data teams to test and roll out approaches.
- Analyze and utilize data to inform and optimize fraud strategy.
- Identify and implement appropriate controls for all new products, with the objective of minimizing losses while maintaining excellent customer experience and profitability.
- Update or improve fraud controls on existing products, including ACH, checks, debit cards, internal transfers, and international transfers.
- Refine or improve onboarding and IDV risk strategy, and communicate improvements to teams performing these operations.
- Review, develop, and document operational procedures as part of risk tools, including account-decisioning, monitoring criteria, etc.
- Regularly prioritize the highest impact initiatives and communicate/collaborate with stakeholders.
- Collaborate with risk, fraud, legal, and compliance teams within Azlo’s banking partner.
- Perform regular fraud risk assessments to satisfy partner bank compliance/ audit requirements.
What you’ll bring
- 8+ years in a risk or fraud function at a financial services company, payments processor or start-up involved in financial transactions. Experience at a banking institution a plus.
- Strong skills in transactional and payment risk.
- Experimental, hypothesis-driven mindset.
- Proficiency in analyzing data and transforming into strategic insights.
- Leadership experience building a team and motivating cross-functional groups to perform above their own expectations and perceived limits.
- Strong empathy for employees, customers AND a passion for growth and development
- Expertise with scaling, change management and the flexibility to adapt to the needs of a growing, changing organization is a plus.
- Ability and willingness to both think strategically and perform operational functions.
- Experience with early-stage product creation.
- Familiarity with current state-of-the-art fraud tools and systems.
- Ability to design and build new systems or processes.
- Working knowledge of regulatory and compliance trends in the US.
- An entrepreneurial attitude and ability to work in a fast-paced, flexible environment.
What we bring
- High impact role in an early-stage fintech company.
- A killer team with decades of experience in finance, tech, and startups.
- A mission to empower business owners, and a mandate to do away with the old models of banking.
- Backing from a leading global bank with resources to support our growth.
- This position can be based in Portland, OR, Birmingham, AL or Houston, TX.