Azlo is a new fintech company that helps business owners, entrepreneurs, and freelancers pay, get paid, and manage their money. Backed by BBVA, we’re on a mission to transform small business banking.
We’re looking for a Director, Fraud Operations to define and oversee our overall risk and fraud prevention strategy, manage how this strategy is implemented across the organization, and ensure the company is appropriately balancing growth and potential losses.
What you’ll do
- Define and manage fraud prevention strategy for Azlo’s next phase of growth.
- Create a culture of awareness around risk and fraud prevention systems to educate and empower team members across the organization to assist in implementation and risk mitigation.
- Identify and implement appropriate controls for all new products, with the objective of minimizing losses while maintaining excellent customer experience and profitability.
- Update or improve controls on existing products, including ACH, checks, debit cards, internal transfers, and international transfers.
- Refine or improve onboarding and IDV risk strategy, and communicate improvements to teams performing these operations.
- Build, coach and lead the fraud operations team, including assessment of teams’ ability to achieve performance goals.
- Oversee and lead fraud process monitoring, SLA’s and KPI’s to ensure business outcomes are delivered.
- Handle escalation cases from the operations team.
- Develop, document and train operational procedures as part of risk tools, including account decisioning, monitoring criteria, etc.
- Oversee the implementation of projects or tools to improve risk operations across the company.
- Regularly prioritize the highest impact initiatives and communicate/collaborate with stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Data Science and Product teams to identify automated and data-driven solutions to risk challenges that will scale with the platform and company.
- Collaborate with risk, fraud, legal, and compliance teams within Azlo’s banking partner.
- Perform regular fraud risk assessments to satisfy partner bank compliance/ audit requirements.
What you’ll bring
- 8+ years in a risk or fraud function at a financial services company, payments processor or related start-up. Experience at a banking institution a plus.
- Strong skills in transactional and payments risk.
- Leadership experience building a team and motivating cross-functional groups to perform above their own expectations and perceived limits.
- Strong empathy for employees, customers AND a passion for growth and development
- Expertise with scaling, change management and the flexibility to adapt to the needs of a growing, changing organization.
- Ability and willingness to both think strategically and perform operational functions.
- Experience with early-stage product creation and at early-stage companies.
- Familiarity with current state-of-the-art fraud tools and systems.
- Strong analytic and decision-making capabilities.
- Ability to design and build new systems or processes.
- Working knowledge of regulatory and compliance trends in the US.
- An entrepreneurial attitude and ability to work in a fast-paced, flexible environment.
What we bring
- High impact role in an early-stage fintech company.
- A killer team with decades of experience in finance, tech, and startups.
- A mission to empower business owners, and a mandate to do away with the old models of banking.
- Backing from a leading global bank with resources to support our growth.
- This position is based in Portland, Oregon.
- Occasional travel may be needed.