Join Axon and be a Force for Good.
At Axon, we’re on a mission to Protect Life. We’re explorers, pursuing society’s most critical safety and justice issues with our ecosystem of devices and cloud software. Like our products, we work better together. We connect with candor and care, seeking out diverse perspectives from our customers, communities and each other.
Life at Axon is fast-paced, challenging and meaningful. Here, you’ll take ownership and drive real change. Constantly grow as you work hard for a mission that matters at a company where you matter.
As a Principal Technical Program Manager, your scope will span multiple product pillars including software and hardware solutions with a focus on delivering experiences that delight our customers and make a measurable social impact. You will partner with product management, tech and science teams to define, build and ship AI solutions. You will play a leading role in managing projects from inception, design, development, deployment and continuous improvements. You will tackle challenging problems and coordinate across multiple teams to ensure our goals are met.
The ideal candidate will have a proven program management track record shipping mission-critical software and scalable distributed systems enabling the end to end machine learning life cycle . We need someone willing to be fearless and more than willing to take on bold challenges. By building great products and accelerating the adoption of our technologies, you'll help protect life in public safety for both officers and the communities they serve around the world.
What You’ll Do
Reports to: SVP
- Collaborate with business, product, engineering, and research teams to identify and prioritize new strategic opportunities for Axon
- Develop end-to-end delivery plans including defining key metrics, milestones and work breakdown structure for AI programs
- Identify and manage your project dependencies by elaborating product requirements and orchestrating the interplay between cutting-edge research, IOT devices and the services that support them
- Lead the overall program risk reviews with executives while identifying and communicating appropriate mitigations as necessary
- Improve existing processes and develop new mechanisms to scale the way we plan and deliver for AI enabled products as our team grows
- Provide coaching and guidance to junior staff members, participate in devising career development plans and talent reviews.
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or an equivalent highly technical field
- 5-7 years of hands-on experience working in a software development organization that builds large-scale distributed systems as Technical Lead, Development Manager and/or Technical Program/Product Manager
- 3+ years managing multiple machine learning projects from concept to delivery
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with machine learning platforms and deploying models at scale in cloud environments (such as AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud)
- Experience writing technical specifications for large scale complex systems
- Exceptional ability to: articulate ambiguous product/customer requirements and feature requests, identify and recommend alternative technical/business approaches as needed, and lead project teams to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
- Execution focused with the ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Master’s or Ph.D. Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or an equivalent highly technical field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills backed by a strong business and technical vision
- Ability to dive deep into and explain complex technical topics and architectural tradeoffs while tailoring the message to various audience groups (e.g. engineers, researchers, executives)
- Prior machine learning experience as an researcher, engineer, or manager
- Ability to write Python scripts to evaluate and benchmark the performance of machine learning solutions
- Familiarity with IoT/Edge AI and working across teams to optimize ML models to run on-device with constrained compute, power and latency budgets
Benefits that Benefit You
- Competitive salary and 401k with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Paid parental leave for all
- Medical, Dental, Vision plans
- Fitness Programs
- Emotional & Mental Wellness support
- Learning & Development programs
- And yes, we have snacks in our offices
Benefits listed herein may vary depending on the nature of your employment and the location where you work
The Pay: Axon is a total compensation company, meaning compensation is made up of base pay, bonus, and stock awards. The starting base pay for this role is between USD 130,000 in the lowest geographic market and USD 250,000 in the highest geographic market. The on target earnings range for this role is between USD 350,000 in the lowest geographic market and USD 520,000 in the highest geographic market. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: level, function, training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, geographic market, and often a combination of all these factors. Our benefits offer an array of options to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. To see more details on our benefits offerings please visit www.axon.com/careers/benefits.
Don’t meet every single requirement? That's ok. At Axon, we Aim Far. We think big with a long-term view because we want to reinvent the world to be a safer, better place. We are also committed to building diverse teams that reflect the communities we serve.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they check every box in the job description. If you’re excited about this role and our mission to Protect Life but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification listed here, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The job description may change or be supplemented at any time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Some roles may also require legal eligibility to work in a firearms environment.
Axon’s mission is to Protect Life and is committed to the well-being and safety of its employees as well as Axon’s impact on the environment. All Axon employees must be aware of and committed to the appropriate environmental, health, and safety regulations, policies, and procedures. Axon employees are empowered to report safety concerns as they arise and activities potentially impacting the environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes justice, advances equity, values diversity and fosters inclusion. We’re committed to hiring the best talent — regardless of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances — and empowering all of our employees so they can do their best work. If you have a disability or special need that requires assistance or accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this email address is for accommodation purposes only. Axon will not respond to inquiries for other purposes.