Join Axon and be a Force for Good.
At Axon, we’re on a mission to Protect Life. We’re explorers, pursuing society’s most critical safety and justice issues with our ecosystem of devices and cloud software. Like our products, we work better together. We connect with candor and care, seeking out diverse perspectives from our customers, communities and each other.
Life at Axon is fast-paced, challenging and meaningful. Here, you’ll take ownership and drive real change. Constantly grow as you work hard for a mission that matters at a company where you matter.
We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes justice, advances equity, values diversity and fosters inclusion. We’re committed to hiring the best talent — regardless of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances — and empowering all of our employees so they can do their best work. If you have a disability or special need that requires assistance or accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this email address is for accommodation purposes only. Axon will not respond to inquiries for other purposes.
You aren’t like everybody else. You aim a little higher. You reach a little further. Your experience is much broader than just a previous career or a few past jobs. You've been listening, learning, and paying attention to recent events which have demonstrated to you why building world-class technology for Public Safety is so important. You do more because it matters to you. And when it comes to looking for that next opportunity, you want to do work that matters to others.
At Axon, we build connected devices such as body cameras powered by an industry-leading digital evidence management platform. Our hardware, software, and training platforms bring security, efficiency, and transparency to law enforcement and are enabling us to truly change the world. The Axon business is growing rapidly and we are looking for a dedicated and proven Principal Product Manager to join our Virtual & Augmented Reality team.
As a member of our engineering team, you will be responsible for bringing our VR content to life with planning and prototyping and also through to production development and launch. We are seeking multiple Unity Developers to design, build and iterate on the platform and applications (both VR and Mobile) that make up our VR and AR-based training. You will partner with design, art, user research, product and multiple engineering teams to create a connected, scalable, performant and highest quality VR training experience that revolutionizes police training.
You will join an interdisciplinary team that is tackling the biggest challenges in public safety training head-on, including immersive VR-based empathy and de-escalation training to help officers engage with the communities they serve with greater awareness and safety. We seek to revolutionize how training is implemented within public safety and we seek to accomplish this while abiding to the following guiding principles:
- Build AR and VR Solutions for Social Good: With our mission to Protect Life, we develop AR & VR solutions that benefit both law enforcement and the community, while addressing key issues in society.
- Empower Agencies with Data: Deliver ongoing data and analysis that provide agencies with key insights that enable them to make decisions that result in building better, more efficient, and positive programs.
- Develop an Active and Diverse Virtual Platform: Leverage the latest in AR & VR technologies to create a robust portfolio of solutions and the highest-quality content, that enable users to be more effective in their roles and manage the challenges of 21st century public safety.
Our AR/VR Team
We believe that happy teams make the best products, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind, collaborate together, and have fun. (The team has weekly VR happy hours in headset.)
We believe we can only succeed if we deeply understand our customers and get to know them. We spend a lot of time with law enforcement officers to learn about their needs, watch their experience and see the real impact of our work. We also work closely with our Axon Community Impact team, along with other community subject experts to create our content and curriculum to reflect the needs of both law enforcement + community.
What You'll Do
You will be a core member of the VR development team, prototyping new experiences and technologies and developing our core shipping products. You will be a strategic partner to UX, Art, Product Management and Design when identifying product features. On any given day you may find yourself:
- Planning, designing, and implementing a next generation feature that is a part of your current sprint.
- Communicating with the team in standup about a problem that you are prioritizing.
- Creating or modifying the mobile or in-VR UI while working closely with Design.
- Reviewing requirements, specifications and technical design documents to help direct the course of the project
- Migrating the code base to a new version of the VIVE Wave Runtime or a new version of Unity.
- Contributing to or leading the strategy of a new development pipeline.
- Participate in design, user research, and code reviews with colleagues.
- Helping an engineering team member troubleshoot an issue with game physics or Hand Tracking.
- Exploring the tech and performing feasibility analysis on features with the Design and PM team before they finalize a long term roadmap.
What You Bring
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering
- Deep experience building and shipping customer facing applications in Unity
- Exceptional C#, system architecture, and class design skills
- Ability to maintain high code quality standards for long-lived projects
- Experience collaborating with art and design teams to integrate models, animations, shaders, audio, and UI.
- Experience profiling and achieving technical, optimization, render, and implementation constraints.
- Works effectively with cross-functional teams including teams of multiple engineers and QA.
- Experience creating titles on XR platforms (HTC Vive / Hololens / Oculus / PlayStation VR) or for mobile (Android / iOS) preferred but not required.
Benefits That Benefit You
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
Don’t meet every single requirement? That's ok. At Axon, we Aim Far. We think big with a long-term view because we want to reinvent the world to be a safer, better place. We are also committed to building diverse teams that reflect the communities we serve.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they check every box in the job description. If you’re excited about this role and our mission to Protect Life but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification listed here, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
NOTE: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The job description may change or be supplemented at any time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Some roles may also require legal eligibility to work in a firearms environment.