Join Axon and be a Force for Good.
At Axon, we’re on a mission to Protect Life. We’re explorers, pursuing society’s most critical safety and justice issues with our ecosystem of devices and cloud software. Like our products, we work better together. We connect with candor and care, seeking out diverse perspectives from our customers, communities and each other.
Life at Axon is fast-paced, challenging and meaningful. Here, you’ll take ownership and drive real change. Constantly grow as you work hard for a mission that matters at a company where you matter.
We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes justice, advances equity, values diversity and fosters inclusion. We’re committed to hiring the best talent — regardless of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances — and empowering all of our employees so they can do their best work. If you have a disability or special need that requires assistance or accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email email@example.com. Please note that this email address is for accommodation purposes only. Axon will not respond to inquiries for other purposes.
As Axon’s Supplier Quality Engineer, you will be responsible for providing Quality Engineering support for all Axon products including: Conducted Electrical Weapons (CEW), Cartridges, Body Worn Cameras and accessories. You will be responsible for working with suppliers in cooperation with Axon Design Engineering, Quality and Supply Chain. Other significant impacts will come from collaborating on the selection of qualified suppliers, leading the efforts to quantify and improve supplier performance, and providing a positive impact on the quality of new and existing products through a global footprint.
What You’ll Do
Location: Onsite at our Dongguan factory in China with travel up to 60%
Reports to: Senior Quality Manager
Direct Reports: None
- Audit supplier critical manufacturing & inspection processes, policies and procedures to ensure performance and quality standards conform to established Axon Quality requirements.
- Engage in selection and evaluation activities of new potential suppliers and conduct onsite auditing of the supplier to assess quality and/or process related requirements.
- Ensure flow down of Axon Supplier Quality Manual to its supply base.
- Ensure New Product Introduction (NPI) takes place in accordance with criteria and inspection plans set up and managed by Axon Program Management, Design and Quality, and in accordance with Supply Chain purchase order requirements and clauses.
- Supporting the supply chain team to qualify the new suppliers
- Review product validation by supplier (FAIR), monitor supplier process FMEA and production control plan (PCP), and advise suppliers PFMEA or PCP improvements.
- Assess supplier inspection capabilities onsite as needed (IQC/OQC/IPQC); Assist in generating appropriate inspection plans and evaluate any inspection and process capability studies provided by suppliers (Cpk, Ppk, Gage R&R).
- When needed, evaluate supplier engineering drawings, specifications, special processes and related purchasing requirements for processes, product fabrication and inspection plans, and communicate/coordinate acceptance with Axon Design, Manufacturing and Quality.
- Participate in measuring, reporting, and correcting supplier quality performance, control processing system anomalies, and non-conforming processes and products.
- Set up the quality goals and monitor the yield rate in suppliers, drive supplier to produce high quality parts consistently with yield improvement month to month.
- Issue Corrective Action Requests (CARs), and Non-Conformance Material Reports (NCMRs) to resolve issues.
- Participate in creating remedial activities for suppliers displaying low quality performance based on defective PPMs and non-conformance frequencies, in coordination with Axon Supply Chain and Quality.
- Communicate and monitor any implemented corrective action, improvement plans, and lessons learnt at the supplier after non-conformance events.
- Provide feedback, data and metrics regarding supplier quality performance level to Operations, Finance and Engineering.
- Identify complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Identify measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system.
- Analyze needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Conduct tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Apply knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Apply knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Chemistry and/or Material Engineering
- Minimum five (5) years experience in manufacturing of mechanical parts (i.e. PCBA/FATP, cast metal parts, molded rubber or plastic parts, cast ceramic parts, cables, machined and stamped parts)
- Knowledge of quality management system (QMS) requirements, (ISO9001, AS9100, TS16949 or a comparable quality specification)
- Minimum five (5) years experience in first and second party audits utilizing ISO9001, AS9100, TS16949 or a comparable quality management system
- Ability to read and understand assembly drawings, schematics, block diagrams and Engineering Change Notices (ECR, ECO) for specific inspection criteria and evaluation
- Solid understanding of receiving, in-process and outgoing inspection processes including statistical sampling, component measurement techniques, specifications and drawings
- Excellent problem resolution, judgment, and decision-making skills required with thorough working knowledge of QC tools, methods and practices (PPAP, DOE, PFMEA, Control Plans, Lean Manufacturing concepts, DMAIC, Root Cause Analysis, 8D Methodology, etc.)
- Excellent written and oral communication in English
- Experience working with statistical software (i.e. QI Macros, Minitab, JMP)
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment
- Proficient in selected Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Outlook)
- Willing to travel frequently
Benefits that Benefit You
- Competitive salary and 401k with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Paid parental leave for all
- Medical, Dental, Vision plans
- Fitness Programs
- Emotional & Mental Wellness support
- Learning & Development programs
- And yes, we have snacks in our offices
- Benefits listed herein may vary depending on the nature of your employment and the location where you work
Don’t meet every single requirement? That's ok. At Axon, we Aim Far. We think big with a long-term view because we want to reinvent the world to be a safer, better place. We are also committed to building diverse teams that reflect the communities we serve.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they check every box in the job description. If you’re excited about this role and our mission to Protect Life but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification listed here, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
NOTE: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The job description may change or be supplemented at any time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Some roles may also require legal eligibility to work in a firearms environment.