Join Axon and be a Force for Good.
At Axon, we’re on a mission to Protect Life. We’re explorers, pursuing society’s most critical safety and justice issues with our ecosystem of devices and cloud software. Like our products, we work better together. We connect with candor and care, seeking out diverse perspectives from our customers, communities and each other.
Life at Axon is fast-paced, challenging and meaningful. Here, you’ll take ownership and drive real change. Constantly grow as you work hard for a mission that matters at a company where you matter.
We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes justice, advances equity, values diversity and fosters inclusion. We’re committed to hiring the best talent — regardless of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances — and empowering all of our employees so they can do their best work. If you have a disability or special need that requires assistance or accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this email address is for accommodation purposes only. Axon will not respond to inquiries for other purposes.
In Connected Devices, we are solving some of the hardest IoT challenges today. We design, deploy and manage 1000s of smart camera systems (both in-car and body-cameras) used by 100s of law enforcement agencies around the globe. For example, our Fleet3 product (https://www.axon.com/products/axon-fleet-3) enables law enforcement officers collect video evidence in addition to accurately performing Automatic License Plate Recognition (ALPR) in real-time using AI deep learning models deployed on device.
If you enjoy working on large-scale projects and collaboratively leading the technical direction of an engineering team, this role is for you. We believe that happy teams take good care of their customers, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind, aim far while delivering results that consistently delight our customers.
You are a Software Engineering Manager with experience building large-scale software applications. You have deep interest in backend or frontend technologies but are comfortable across the whole stack. You are excited about the care, feeding and growth of a high-availability, scalable cloud-based systems. You want to lead a team of software experts in building complex and impactful software systems while keeping your hands in the code. You also enjoy mentoring and growing junior engineers.
Come work in an exciting environment where you use your passion, experience, and analytical skills to help bring new solutions to public safety and leave a positive impact on the world.
What You’ll Do
Location: London, England or Remote, U.K.
Reports to: Director of Engineering
- Driving the execution of your team by leading planning, prioritization, stand-ups, and team retro meetings
- Leading the technical direction of the team through architectural discussions and code reviews
- Working with product managers, senior engineers, and client teams to get ‘ahead of the curve' and explore new opportunities.
- Join forces with recruiting to hire a top-notch engineering team
- Managing engineers and their careers with 1:1s and performance reviews
- Execute and deliver new features and improvements to customers on a regular basis
- Coaching your team for continuous improvements
What You Bring
- 6+ years of experience in software engineering
- 3+ years of experience leading software developers building customer-facing software applications
- A track record of planning and delivering on multiple overlapping projects spanning several months
- Experience designing and delivering high-available, scalable cloud-based systems
- Significant software development experience using managed languages such as Java, Scala, Go, C#, or similar
- Experience working with IoT devices and Visual Sensor Networks
- Experience in real-time video system design including compression, image processing and playback
- Proven ability for coaching and mentoring
- A passion for communication and collaboration
Benefits that Benefit You
- Competitive salary and pension service
- Generous PTO
- Paid parental leave for all
- Private healthcare plan
- Emotional & Development Programs
Benefits listed herein may vary depending on the nature of your employment and the location where you work.
Don’t meet every single requirement? That's ok. At Axon, we Aim Far. We think big with a long-term view because we want to reinvent the world to be a safer, better place. We are also committed to building diverse teams that reflect the communities we serve.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they check every box in the job description. If you’re excited about this role and our mission to Protect Life but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification listed here, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
NOTE: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The job description may change or be supplemented at any time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Some roles may also require legal eligibility to work in a firearms environment.