Join Axon and be a Force for Good.
At Axon, we’re on a mission to Protect Life. We’re explorers, pursuing society’s most critical safety and justice issues with our ecosystem of devices and cloud software. Like our products, we work better together. We connect with candor and care, seeking out diverse perspectives from our customers, communities and each other.
Life at Axon is fast-paced, challenging and meaningful. Here, you’ll take ownership and drive real change. Constantly grow as you work hard for a mission that matters at a company where you matter.
We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes justice, advances equity, values diversity and fosters inclusion. We’re committed to hiring the best talent — regardless of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances — and empowering all of our employees so they can do their best work. If you have a disability or special need that requires assistance or accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this email address is for accommodation purposes only. Axon will not respond to inquiries for other purposes.
In Connected Devices, we are solving some of the hardest IoT challenges today. We design, deploy and manage 1000s of smart camera systems (both in-car and body-cameras) used by 100s of law enforcement agencies around the globe. For example, our Fleet3 product enables law enforcement officers collect video evidence in addition to accurately performing Automatic License Plate Recognition (ALPR) in real-time using AI deep learning models deployed on device.
If you enjoy working on large-scale projects and collaboratively leading the technical direction of an engineering team, this role is for you. We believe that happy teams take good care of their customers, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind, aim far while delivering results that consistently delight our Customers.
You are a Staff Backend Software Engineer with experience building large-scale software applications. You have deep interest in backend technologies and platforms. You are excited about the care, feeding and growth of a high-availability, scalable cloud-based services and the engineering organizations that build them. You can instill new ideas into our engineering architecture and organization to help lead us into the next phase of scale and growth of our Connected Devices IoT platform.
Come work in an exciting environment where you use your passion, experience, and analytical skills to help bring new solutions to public safety and leave a positive impact on the world.
- Lead engineering architecture design reviews
- Set a high technical bar for the team through code and design reviews
- Mentor colleagues and provide technical input to leadership
- Work across Product, Design, and Engineering teams to solve complex technical challenges for our customers
- Improve our Engineering processes, including long-term planning, agile methodology, CI/CD, and software quality initiatives
- Build software that raises the bar for availability and latency in this mission-critical space
- Work with the latest open source technologies and toolchains
- 8+ years of experience in software engineering
- Ability to write beautiful, simple, maintainable code for backend micro-services
- Experience designing and delivering high-availability, scalable cloud-based systems and platforms
- Significant software development experience using managed languages such as Java, Scala, Go, C#, or similar
- Deep skills in driving technical solutions across multiple teams
- Strong experience with database, especially SQL and Cassandra
- Ability to communicate technical concepts, in both written and verbal form, to a wide variety of audiences
- Mindset of continuous learning and development
- Experience working with IoT devices and Visual Sensor Networks
- Experience in real-time video system design including compression, image processing and playback.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with police officers to see them use our technology and get inspired
- And more...
NOTE: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The job description may change or be supplemented at any time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Some roles may also require legal eligibility to work in a firearms environment.