Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of police records so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
We are working with cutting edge technology and need your help to make it all come together. You will join an interdisciplinary team tackling the biggest challenges in public safety training head-on, including immersive VR based empathy, coping and de-escalation training to help officers engage with the communities they serve, with greater awareness and safety. We seek to accomplish this while abiding to the following guiding principles:
- Build AR and VR Solutions for Social Good: With our mission to Protect Life, we develop AR/VR solutions that benefit both law enforcement and the community, while addressing key issues in society.
- Empower Agencies with Data: Deliver ongoing data and analysis that provide agencies with key insights that enable them to make decisions that result in building better, more efficient, and positive programs.
- Develop an Active and Diverse Virtual Platform: Leverage the latest in AR & VR technologies to create a robust portfolio of solutions and the highest-quality content, that enable users to be more effective in their roles and manage the challenges of 21st century public safety.
As one of the founding members of the Axon’s AR/VR team, you will lead architecture on Axon’s VR/AR products, help drive the overall strategy & roadmap, and be a part of the teams designing, building, and testing prototypes for future public safety oriented XR experiences. You will build and lead a team of web, cloud, and Unity developers, as well as build out QA for the solutions. This role will partner with product, UX, artists, content, and engineering teams across Axon to ensure we are building out world class training products using the latest technologies, in ways that have yet to be fully recognized.
You will perform in a leadership role among the team, responsible for a wide variety of engineering efforts ranging from the development of our applications in Unity, to the hosting of our applications/services in the cloud, to the web interfaces where customers access/manage data from our solutions. You will advise on strategy and best practices, to ensure we build out a scalable solution for the long term. You will explore new technologies within AI to help agencies extract insights and streamline training, and networking to enable better multi-trainee experiences.
Our AR/VR Team Culture
We believe that happy teams make the best products, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind, collaborate together, and have fun. (The team has weekly VR happy hours in headset.)
We believe we can only succeed if we deeply understand our customers and get to know them. We spend a lot of time with law enforcement officers to learn about their needs, watch their experience and see the real impact of our work. We also work closely with our Axon Community Impact team, along with other community subject experts to create our content and curriculum to reflect the needs of both law enforcement + community.
- Develop a technical vision and strategy for Axon’s XR initiatives, while driving development of system requirements and architecture to create new virtual reality experiences.
- Design and lead multi-year technical roadmaps and take full responsibility for planning, overall execution and success of complex technical projects.
- Collaborate with your Product and Design counterparts to iterate on the product vision and roadmap.
- Build and manage a diverse team, from the ground up, that enables Axon to consistently develop XR solutions at quality and scale, while pushing the envelop on what can be accomplished with the technology.
- Guide team on use of new and emerging technologies, while balancing risk and reward.
- Ensure high quality and future maintainability output from a team with a strong emphasis on tracking metrics and monitoring errors in the field.
- Ensure and encourage communication across related global teams such as quality assurance, backend services, mobile application and desktop application teams.
- Define and implement series of engineering processes and best practices for Axon XR development.
- 10+ years of work experience architecting, developing, and launching software products and/or services.
- Proficient in both high-level scripting languages (e.g. Python) and lower-level compiled languages (e.g. C#/C++)
- Proficient with game engine technology (e.g. Unity, Unreal, RealityKit).
- Experience with AR/VR and related technology ; ARKit/ARCore experience a plus
- Familiar with Machine Learning tools and techniques, especially as applied to 3D interactive experiences
- Understanding of networking protocols and technologies like TCP/IP, UDP, QUIC, RTP, WebRTC
- Familiar with agile development philosophy and practices
- Experience leading small to mid-sized software development teams
- Experience leading/managing 3rd party vendors
- Passionate about quality design, code, tools and architectures
- Experience developing titles on XR platforms (Hololens, Oculus, HTC Vive, or PlayStation VR)
- Deep knowledge of computer graphics (lighting, shading, rigging, fx, etc)
- Proficient with computer graphics content creation tools (Maya, Houdini, Nuke, etc)
- Experience developing apps for public release (e.g. iOS technology)
- Experience in REST architecture for web services and building secure, scalable APIs
- Experience designing and delivering high-availability Cloud Service Technologies (Google Cloud, AWS, or Azure) including Kubernetes or Docker.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, see them use technology, get inspired
- And more...
NOTE: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The job description may change or be supplemented at any time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Some roles may require legal eligibility to work in a firearms environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, sex (including gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth, or medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), breastfeeding (or medical conditions relating to breast feeding), age, marital status, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, disability (including medical condition), veteran status, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities and/or religious reasons to perform the essential functions of this position. Additionally, if you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability or religious reason for any part of the employment process, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this email address is for accommodation purposes only. Axon will not respond to inquiries for other purposes.