Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of police records so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
Location: Remote; US based
Axon Records is our state-of-the-art records management system. Axon Records re-imagines the way officers write reports in the field to how detectives help prosecute crime. Police reports come to life with video at the heart of the record to tell the full story, and applying AI to data can support new strategies for crime solving and prevention.
You will be the design leader and owner of the end-to-end user experience for how officers write incident reports in the field. You obsess over the details with how the report data is shared with FBI, prosecutors, detectives, and community. Your experience with the full design process and love for user research allows you to be a strategic partner to your PM and Engineering lead; focused on where to make the most impact for our users and simplify the complexity of report writing.
Check out our future vision for Axon products here: https://vimeo.com/333871354
Check out our future vision for Records product here: https://vimeo.com/367709273
Read about our ethics board: https://www.axon.com/company/ai-and-policing-technology-ethics
We believe that happy teams take good care of their customers, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind and deliberately avoids red tape, unnecessary rituals, politics, and jerks.
We believe we can only succeed if we deeply understand our customers and get to know them personally. We spend a lot of time with law enforcement officers to learn about their needs, watch their experience and see the real impact of our work. Your first ride-along with a patrol officer will forever change your perception of what the job is, and what the city is like.
- Partner closely with Product Management on initial product definition and ongoing product evolution and execution. Shape strategy and direction for the highest priority product investments.
- Build alignment and articulate vision through strong storytelling and presentations skills.
- Lead product design for enterprise web and mobile applications for an agency’s incident reporting. You'll own the full design process, from initial research and discovery through concepting, detailed designs, prototyping, testing and working with Engineering on implementation.
- Turn complex interactions involving a diverse set of users, a complex physical environment, social interactions, regional differences, and an ecosystem of hardware devices and software applications, into simple experience solutions.
- Collaborate with Product Managers and UX Researchers to initiate, execute, and extract insights using a variety of research methods: observational, interviews, participatory, usability testing, competitive analysis, etc.
- Collaborate with other design leads across product teams to ensure great user experiences across all of our products.
- Participate in hiring across the larger product design and product management & engineering organizations keeping a high bar.
- Think in terms of broad platform and systems strategy rather than siloed features.
- Contribute to defining global design patterns, vision, and processes for Axon products.
- Contribute to defining the general product design vision and process at Axon.
- Be an ambassador, mentor other designers and champion for the design culture at Axon.
- Present products and feature ideas and execution up to executive level.
- 6+ years of product design experience with at least 2 years of them leading major product design initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, HCI or related field. A master's degree is considered a plus.
- 5+ years experience shipping experiences with a moderate to high level of complexity (enterprise or complex consumer workflows rather than simple consumer flows).
- A proven track record of applying user-centered design processes and methodology to product definition, design, and development. You have experience with every stage of the design process, including: research, sketches, wireframes, high fidelity mock-ups, prototyping, and usability testing.
- You enjoy collaborating on early product definition as much as you enjoy working with the larger product and engineering teams on implementation.
- Strong conceptual skills and proven ability to rapidly prototype and design to communicate ideas to others.
- A broad skillset with deep specialization in at least one area (IA, UX, visual, etc).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to clearly explain your ideas and decisions in a way that anyone can understand.
- Highly knowledgeable of the latest design tools and proficient at quickly learning new ones. We currently use Figma, but are always evaluating new tools.
- Able to function both independently and in a collaborative team environment. Comfortable in both leader and follower roles.
- Unbounded curiosity and sense of adventure.
- A great portfolio available for review.
- Award-winning office and working environment with the newest technology.
- Competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package.
- Discretionary PTO.
- Fun team activities and outings.
- Flexible working hours.
- Options for training in the US.
- Opportunities to ride along with local law enforcement.
NOTE: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The job description may change or be supplemented at any time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Some roles may require legal eligibility to work in a firearms environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, sex (including gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth, or medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), breastfeeding (or medical conditions relating to breast feeding), age, marital status, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, disability (including medical condition), veteran status, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities and/or religious reasons to perform the essential functions of this position. Additionally, if you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability or religious reason for any part of the employment process, please send an email to email@example.com. Please note that this email address is for accommodation purposes only. Axon will not respond to inquiries for other purposes.