Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of police records so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
Our TeamIn Digital Evidence Management System team (DEMS), we are solving some of the hardest cloud challenges today. We manage 100+ petabytes of video and other digital evidence from hundreds of thousands of officers around the world. Our case management tool enables law enforcement agencies, prosecutors, and defenders to easily and confidentially disclose case related documents and efficiently process criminal trials. If you enjoy working on large-scale projects and collaboratively leading the technical direction of an engineering team, this role is for you.
We believe that happy teams take good care of their customers, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind and deliberately avoids red tape, unnecessary rituals, politics, and jerks.
Your ImpactYou are a Staff Backend Software Engineer with experience building large-scale software applications. You have deep interest in backend technologies. You are excited about the care, feeding and growth of a high-availability, scalable cloud-based systems and the engineering organizations that build them. You can instill new ideas into our engineering architecture and organization to help lead us into the next phase of scale and growth of our DEMs system.
Come work in an exciting environment where you use your passion, experience, and analytical skills to help bring new solutions to public safety and leave a positive impact on the world.
- Lead engineering architecture design reviews
- Set a high technical bar for the team through code and architecture design reviews
- Mentoring engineers
- Working across teams with Product, Design, and Engineering to solve some of our biggest technical challenges within our stack for our customers
- Improve our Engineering process, including long-term thinking, sprint planning and stand-ups
- Building services that adhere to our high bar on availability and latency in this mission-critical space
- Working with the latest open source technologies
- 8+ years of experience in software engineering
- Experience building complex and impactful software in a team environment
- Deep skill in driving technical solutions across multiple teams
- Backend service experience in managed languages such as Java, Scala, Go, C#, or similar
- Strong experience with database, especially SQL and Cassandra
- Experience designing and delivering high-availability, scalable cloud-based systems
- You write beautiful, simple, maintainable code for backend microservices
- Interest in helping to set the technical and organizational direction for a growing engineering team across multiple global locations
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Robust parental leave policy
- An award-winning office/working environment
- Ride along with police officers to see them use our technology and get inspired
- And more...
NOTE: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The job description may change or be supplemented at any time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Some roles may require legal eligibility to work in a firearms environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, sex (including gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth, or medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), breastfeeding (or medical conditions relating to breast feeding), age, marital status, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, disability (including medical condition), veteran status, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities and/or religious reasons to perform the essential functions of this position. Additionally, if you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability or religious reason for any part of the employment process, please send an email to email@example.com. Please note that this email address is for accommodation purposes only. Axon will not respond to inquiries for other purposes.