Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage media company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning content in an audience-first format. We are hiring for a Vice President, People Operations: an HR operations veteran and strategic leader to lead our People Operations team. You will develop and drive a people strategy at every level of the organization, ensure policies, tools, systems, data and total rewards support, improve the employee experience, and ensure compliance with laws. You will lead a team of 5 people and report to the Chief People Officer.
The context: The People Team at Axios is organized into three groups: People Operations, Talent Management, and Talent Acquisition. The People Operations group encompasses employee experience, total rewards, and compliance.
Go deeper: Responsibilities include:
- Build strategy and oversee management and operations of people-related programs and policies including, but not limited to, all stages of the employee journey, compensation, benefits, leaves of absence, HRIS, and compliance
- Advance Axios’ diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives
- Lead new HRIS implementation
- Lead and optimize fair and scalable approach to compensation
- Build analytics capability to ensure key stakeholders have the right insight to inform decision making
- Identify opportunities for efficiency and drive continuous improvement in processes, systems, and automation
- Collaborate across People Team with Talent Management and Talent Acquisition groups to create and continuously fine-tune programs through feedback loops, metrics, trends, key insights and detailed analyses
- Partner cross-functionally with other teams across the company, including Operations, Legal, and Finance
- Coach, engage, and develop People Operations team members
- Be involved in creating and administering the People Team budget
The details: This position requires the following:
- 10+ years of HR operational experience and 3+ years in a HR leadership position
- Expertise in 2 or more HR areas is required (e.g., HR Administration/Operations, Total Rewards, Benefits, Compliance)
- Experience leading through a successful HRIS implementation
- Experience building efficient and compliant operations and processes
- Understanding total rewards and experience building and executing compensation and benefits programs
- Ability to operate in an agile, fast-paced environment and lead through change
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to influence and articulate a variety of issues to different audiences
- High level of optimism, initiative, creativity, and empathy
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Base salary for this role is in the range of $150,000-$200,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.