Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage media company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning content in an audience-first format. We are hiring for a Director of Total Rewards: an experienced compensation and benefits expert who can build out and manage a total rewards strategy that is competitive, sustainable, and will attract and retain top talent.
The context: The People Team at Axios is organized into three groups: People Operations, Talent Management, and Talent Acquisition. The People Operations group encompasses employee experience, total rewards, and compliance.
Go deeper: Responsibilities include:
- Manage development and oversight of total rewards compensation philosophy and program
- Serve as a subject matter expert and counselor to business leaders on company’s total rewards philosophy
- Regularly evaluate effectiveness of existing compensation and benefit programs and model financial impact of alternatives
- Manage annual rewards cycle, including merit and promotion reviews, and partner with FP&A to conduct appropriate budget modeling.
- Leverage competitive market practice and data, plus internal equity, to drive compensation and benefits decisions
- Design training for managers to promote understanding and the ability to communicate rewards strategies and processes
- Work collaboratively with Talent Acquisition to benchmark positions and develop competitive total reward packages
- Lead annual benefit renewal discussions and communication and partner with Compliance to oversee execution of annual enrollment process
The details: This position requires the following:
- 8+ years of compensation and benefits experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of compensation plan design and administration
- Familiarity with HRIS systems and other technologies/tools related to compensation, benefits administration, or outsourcing
- Understanding of monetary rewards and non-monetary recognition as methods to promote employee engagement and retention
- Excellent communication, influencing, partnering, and leadership skills
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to communicate both qualitative and quantitative data effectively
- Initiative, resilience, precision, and flexibility amidst a high volume of time-sensitive requests and projects
- Experience managing benefits plans and broad vendor selection for comprehensive coverage
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Base salary for this role is in the range of $125,000-$175,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.