Quick take: Axios is a fast-growing media company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We're hiring a Vice President, Communications.
Why it matters: Our Vice President, Communications will design, oversee and execute our communications strategy to shape the way the world sees and engages with Axios.
Go deeper: This person will work closely with our company leadership and founders to elevate Axios' brand and represent our talent. Communications should magnify our continued excellence in National coverage; unique expansion into Local communities; and fast-growing subscription Pro business. The role will report into the SVP, Operations. Responsibilities include:
- Design and execute a communications approach that amplifies our overall company strategy
- Build and manage a calendar of tentpole moments to align communications activities and help direct company attention
- Lead and develop a team of 4-5 top-notch communications professionals
- Promote Axios products across earned and owned channels
- Serve as company spokesperson and respond to media inquiries
- Oversee bookings across media outlets and platforms
- Manage speaking opportunities for top talent to enhance the Axios brand
- Assess potential media partnership opportunities
The details: Ideal candidates will have a passion for Axios’ mission and these skills:
- 15 years of communications experience at a media company or analogous entity
- Demonstrated ability both to build strategic plans and operationalize a team to execute
- Understanding of media landscape, including on-the-record press experience
- Record of securing a range of press coverage from profiles to product launches to thought leadership platforms
- Executive leadership experience, including leading and managing a team, governing a budget, and collaborating on strategy
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per month
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Classpass discounts
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Base salary for this role is in the range of $150k - $225k and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.